I don't know anyone that doesn't want more vacation time especially to spend time with family. Embassy Suites Hotels, a Hilton Worldwide brand and one ofParents magazine's “10 Best Hotel Chains for Families of 2012”, gives guests more during every stay. The full service, upscale chain offers two-room suites, free cooked-to-order breakfast and a nightly Manager's Reception with complimentary appetizers and beverages.
According to a new Embassy Suites survey ofParentsmagazine readers, families are taking less extended vacations and more quick trips to get away for a short time.
- 56% classify themselves as “vacation dabblers” who take vacations here and there throughout the year
- 27% classify themselves as “vacation extenders”tacking vacation days onto holidays when they already get time off work/school
- 13% classify themselves as “vacation maximizers”who bank up vacation days for one long trip
- 4% classify themselves as “vacation accumulators” holding onto vacation days until the very end of the year until they have to “use 'em or lose 'em”
We definitely fall into the category of Vacation Dabblers. With work, school, visitation and extra curriculars, if we waited until the schedule allowed time for a break, we'd never get anywhere. So we find that jaunting off for a quick weekend getaway is better than nothing.
In the past year, we've taken about 3 short weekend trips to local establishments that offer kid-friendly fun. Indoor water parks are a favorite.
We make the most of our trips by creating excitement and anticipation building up to it, planning our itinerary so we don't waste time playing the “what do you want to do” game, and then after the trip we enjoy sharing photos with family and friends on Facebook, reliving the moments and adding captions.
Dr. Susan Biali
Embassy Suites has partnered with Dr. Susan Biali, a health and happiness expert and author of Live a Life You Love: 7 Steps to a Healthier, Happier, More Passionate You, to help families “more-imize” their vacations this summer. She states that people need at least 3 days to get the full effect of a vacation, but in reality families are taking shorter trips, so it's important to get as much as you can out of each day. Here are a few of her tips that are my favorites:
- Looking forward to an impending vacation improves your mood and makes it easier to get through work. It can actually make you more productive. I find this to be true for all of us. Even the kids! We like to make a paper chain to represent the countdown of days to a trip. Each day we tear off one link. Sometimes we add little chores to the links reminding us of things that need to get done before we can leave.
- Travel the night before to your destination. This one is great. There is nothing better than waking up “on vacation.”
- Hold onto that post-vacation rejuvenation feeling. We find that sharing our stories online is a great way to do this. Every time a friend or family member comments on a photo we get to re-live the memory.
- Make your vacation pay for itself by signing up for special travel rewards programs. I also like to seek out any coupons, discounts and sales before a trip to get the most out of a tight budget.
“Get More Vacation” Contest
Visit the Embassy Suites Facebook page for the “Get More Vacation” Contest. Between now and July 20, 2012, fans can upload a picture of their family's “vacation face” and a caption explaining how their family plans to get the most out of their summer vacation–before, during and after — for a chance to win one of five week-long vacations at any of the 200+ Embassy Suites Hotels across the Americas plus $10,000 in spending cash!
Stay up to date and learn more on by following Embassy Suites on Twitter!
Disclosure: I wrote this review while participating in an Ambassador Program by Mom Central Consulting on behalf of Embassy Suites Hotels and received a one-night complimentary stay at an Embassy Suites Hotel to facilitate my reviews and a promotional item to thank me the taking the time to participate.
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.