Do you ever count the same money over and over again? This is a horrible habit I have been adopting ever since I began working from home more often. Allow me to give an example of what I am talking about.
Counting the Same Money Over and Over
- Let's say I complete a project for $250.
- As soon as the blog post is done I mentally add $250 to my bank account.
- Hubby says something like, “We need a new zombie apocalypse survival kit”.
- I reply with, “Hey, no problem. I just made $250”.
Once I am actually paid for the project and have it in my account this process seems to happen again.
- I physically add the $250 to my bank account.
- Hubby says something else like, “You know we could really use a marshmallow rocket launcher”.
- I eagerly chime in with, “I got it! Just got paid $250.”
Boom. Money just spent twice. That is how I count the same money over and over. It's not wise. It can get you into trouble.
Sometimes I go a step further and count the money a third time if I know a project is looming. So, that's just “possible” money…and that's when I really suck at life.
What I am now doing to stop this is adding another method to my madness. I now write down the projects that I do as I complete them with the amount next to them. I just use a daily planner. This is just so I see how I am doing from week to week.
On a Google doc I keep track of money when I am paid. This is the real deal, money in the bank.
I also have a tab in the Google doc with money owed to me. This is redundant because I am doing the same with the calendar, but more efficient. It's also because I am obsessed with Google docs. But, it keeps a running tally for me of how much I am owed. I am trying to stop spending that money before it's in my possession!
Note: We don't buy such randomly strange items. They are just what popped into my mind while writing this. The rest of this post is quite accurate. 😉
Can you relate to counting the same money over and over? How do you manage your money responsibly?
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.