The extent of my pumpkin carving skills end where my fork hits a whip-cream laden piece of pumpkin pie. When I learned that we’d be carving pumpkins with Master Pumpkin Carver, Joseph Yakovetic, I was just a wee bit nervous. But he explained the process so that even my Finding Dory pumpkin carving came out like a masterpiece. If I can do it, literally anyone can! This experience was part of an all expenses paid press junket. Everything shared here is unbiased.
Finding Dory Pumpkin Carving
If you’re hosting a Halloween party these pumpkin carving tips will allow you to create some pretty epic ambiance. Plus, it’s tons of fun for the whole family!
With graphite paper, a pen or pencil, black sharpie marker, some paint, paintbrush, and some carving tools, all you need to do is pick is a design. You can tear out your favorite coloring book page or print these adorable activity sheets by clicking the banner below.
How to carve a picture into a pumpkin:
- You’ll first want to make sure your pumpkin is clean. Using a disinfectant wipe will help it last longer by removing mold and bacteria from the surface.
- Do not remove the stem. The pumpkin is still receiving nutrients from the stem and removing it will cause it to decay faster.
- Align your picture over graphite paper and pin onto pumpkin.
- Using a pen or pencil, trace over your picture. This transfers the graphite onto the pumpkin. No need for a heavy hand… you’ll only have more of a mess later. You just need light guidelines.
- Remove image and graphite paper. Using a black Sharpie marker, go over all the graphite lines on the pumpkin. If the graphite clogs the marker, wipe on a piece of paper. Using the sides of the marker helps too.
- Once all the lines are traced with marker, wipe off access graphite with a baby wipe.
- Paint your picture with your desired colors.
- Using your carving tools, outline your image and carve out any areas you want to glow. (Eyeballs, teeth, accent lines… etc.)
- Using a serrated kitchen knife, cut a square in the back of your pumpkin so you can clean out the guts. (Save the seeds for a snack!)
- After the inside of the pumpkin is thoroughly scraped, put a light inside and see your work shine.
Huge thanks goes to Joseph Yakovetic for showing us how to carve pumpkins like a pro. He is an amazing talent and fantastic teacher.
Check him out in action! This is a time lapse video of his work:
This was such a fun event. I mean, who doesn’t love hanging out at the Disney Studio lot carving pumpkins with their besties?!
Finding Dory Release Date
Finding Dory comes out on Bluray 11/15 and is available on Digital HD 10/25.
Who will you be showing your awesome Finding Dory pumpkin carving t0?
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.