Mermaid cookie cups remind me of little tide pools you’ll find by the sea. These magical little cookie cups are the perfect addition to any under the sea themed party.
How to Make Mermaid Cookie Cups
Similar to our unicorn cookie cups, this recipe uses gorgeous ocean colors instead. Using a pouch of cookie mix shaves off some prep time, so you can focus on the fun party – decorating!
To make the cookies, all you need is a pouch of sugar cookie mix and the ingredients required to make it. Our cookie mix pouch calls for a stick of butter and an egg.
After the basics, it’s time to get creative. Mix sprinkles into the cookie dough to create the look you want for the cookie cups.
Don’t be afraid to get your hands dirty. Knead the dough with your hands if the mixture gets too stiff.
Roll tablespoon sized dough into balls. Use a tart shaper to create cups. Bake and let cool before you fill those adorable cookie cups up with mermaid magic.
Filling the cooled cookie cups is the most fun. Here is where you can get crazy with the colors and toppings. Let the kids choose their favorite sprinkles if you want to get them involved.
We used a Wilton 1M tip for piping the frosting into the cookie cups.
Fun Party Bites
The end result is delicious little bites. The mermaid cookies cups are about the size of a mini-muffin.
You know everyone loves tiny foods at a party! That way you can fill your plate with a variety and try everything without filling up too soon.
I also think cookie cups are great for graduation parties. Maybe turn them into little caps somehow? Or, fill them up with the school colors and celebratory sprinkles! Let us know what you come up with.
More Desserts to make for a Mermaid Party
Mermaid Cookie Cups Recipe
- Preheat oven to 375 and spray mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add cookie mix, butter and egg and mix until dough forms. This mixture is stiff and after some time it’s okay to give up with the spatula and use your hands. Once mixed together, stir in 1/4 cup sprinkles. Knead these in with your hands to make it easier.
- Use a 1 tablespoon portion scoop to scoop dough and roll into balls. Place into prepared pan. Use a pastry/tart shaper to press down on the dough to make a divot.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven. Let set to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack completely.
- Divide tub of frosting in half and color one bowl teal and one bowl violet. Spread into the pastry bag fitted with a large star tip, one color on each side. Pipe onto the top of the cookies. Top with remaining sprinkles.
- Store at room temperature loosely covered.
- Makes 36
Share this cookie cups recipe with your mermaid loving friends!
Prize winner: Kim P.