If you’re craving a cinnamon roll but don’t want to make a large batch, give this single-serve microwave cinnamon roll cake a try. With simple ingredients and a microwave-safe mug or dish, you will have a sweet treat in minutes.
Even though this is a small cake, this cinnamon roll recipe is complete with a cinnamon swirl and cream cheese frosting. Be sure to save this recipe for the next time you want a quick coffee cake for one!
Cinnamon Roll in a Mug Recipe
As you can probably tell, I’m all about mug cakes over here. In fact, I have another site full of low-carb cakes for one. My obsession is due to my giant sweet tooth.
I just love that I can whip up a single dessert using the microwave in minutes. Mug cakes are quick, easy and portion-controlled. They are enough to feed my sweet tooth and I don’t have to worry about wasting excess or going back for thirds or fourths. Plus, it’s just fun to cinnamon swirl all the things!
If you can relate, give this cinnamon roll in a mug a try.
Single Serve Cinnamon Roll Cake Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. Scroll down for the printable recipe card with measurements.
For the cake:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Milk of choice
- Avocado oil
For the cinnamon swirl:
- Brown sugar
For the cream cheese frosting:
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
Microwave Cinnamon Roll Directions
Step One: Cake Batter
Add all the ingredients for the cake to a microwave-safe mug or ramekin that holds at least 8 ounces. Stir well to incorporate and remove any lumps in the batter.
Step Two: Swirl
Make the cinnamon swirl by adding butter to a small bowl. Melt it in the microwave and add cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
Pour the mixture over the cake batter. Use a butter knife to swirl the mixture into the cake.
Step Three: Microwave
Microwave the cake for one minute or until the center is cooked through. Allow it to cool.
Step Four: Frosting
While the cake is cooling, make the cream cheese frosting by adding butter and cream cheese to a small bowl. Heat in the microwave at 50% power for 10 seconds. Add the powdered sugar and stir until smooth. Add up to an additional tablespoon of powdered sugar until you get the consistency you want.
Frost the cooled cake by simply adding the desired amount with a spoon. If you want to create the swirl pattern as seen in the pictures here, transfer the frosting to a sandwich bag and cut off a corner. You can then pipe the frosting into a swirl, starting at the center of the cake.
Step Five: Savor
Enjoy your mini cinnamon roll! I like to use a small spoon, so I make sure to savor every bite.
Microwave Cake Recipe Notes and FAQ
The frosting makes two servings.
The frosting in this recipe makes enough for two cakes if you use the swirl pattern. Either make a second cake to share or refrigerate the remaining frosting for another day.
Can I make this into a large cake?
This recipe has only been tested as a small mug cake. It’s designed to be a single-serve dessert.
Great dessert for college kids!
Mug cakes are a good dessert option for college kids. If they live in a dorm or smaller space, they might not want to mess with the oven or larger supplies often needed to make a full cake.
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons milk of choice
- ½ tablespoon avocado oil
- Pinch of salt
Cinnamon Swirl Ingredients
- 1 ½ tablespoons brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ tablespoon butter, melted
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- ½ tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese, softened
- 4-5 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Add all cake ingredients to a microwave-safe mug, dish, or ramekin that is at least 8 oz. Stir well to incorporate.
- Make the cinnamon swirl by melting 1/2 tablespoon of butter. Add cinnamon and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Pour cinnamon swirl mixture over cake batter. Swirl and fold into batter using a butter knife.
- Microwave cake for one minute or until the center of the cake is cooked through.
- While the cake cools, make frosting by adding butter and cream cheese to a small bowl. Heat at 50% power in the microwave for 10 seconds. Add 4 tablespoons powdered sugar and stir until smooth. Add up to an additional tablespoon of powdered sugar until you reach desired frosting consistency.
- Frost cake by spooning on desired amount or create the swirl pattern as shown here. To create the swirl, transfer frosting to a small sandwich bag, snip a corner, and pipe frosting into a swirl, starting at the center of the cake.
The frosting recipe makes enough for two servings if using the swirl pattern. Make another cake to share, or refrigerate leftover frosting for another day.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 603Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 415mgCarbohydrates: 93gFiber: 2gSugar: 67gProtein: 6g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More recipes for people who love cinnamon rolls
Please pin the image below to your recipe board to save and share!
Subscribe to the blog’s newsletter, so you don’t miss a recipe!
I’d love to hear your thoughts if you make this microwave cinnamon roll cake.