Once you have this salted caramel frosting recipe, you will want to frost everything with it. I feel like a child again that wants to lick all the frosting off the cupcake. If you are a fan of Milk Duds, you will definitely be in heaven.
Chocolate Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting Recipe
- 2/3 cup cocoa
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yokes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Caramel Sauce Ingredients
- 1 1 /2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter (room temp)
- 1 cup heavy cream
Salted Caramel Frosting Ingredients
- 1 cup unsalted butter, (room temp)
- 4 cups powder sugar
- 3/4 cup Caramel Sauce, (cool completely)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large heat-safe mixing bowl, mix cocoa powder and baking soda.
- Add the boiling water and mix until bubbles subside and mix is well blended, allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- In a second large mixing bowl, use an electric hand mixer on low speed, add melted butter, vegetable oil, granulated sugar, vanilla, and salt and mix.
- Stir in eggs and eggs yolks, mix well until it's all well combined.
- Fold in cocoa mixture then blend in heavy cream.
- Slowly add in flour and blend until combined, make sure to scrape the sides and bottom of bowl.
- Divide batter among 24 paper-lined muffin cups, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake in the oven for 2o minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in muffin tin.
- Transfer to wire rack to cool more.
- Cool completely.
- Frost with salted caramel frosting (recipe below), drizzle with caramel sauce (recipe below)
- Top with Milk Duds
Salted Caramel Frosting Recipe Directions
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment, whip butter on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add powdered sugar and blend on low speed until mixture forms a stiff peak.
- Add caramel sauce and vanilla and whip on medium-high speed until light and fluffy about 2 minutes.
Caramel Sauce Directions
- In a 3 quart saucepan, heat sugar and water over medium to high heat stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Once mix reaches a boil, stop mixing and allow the sugar mix to boil until it reaches a dark amber color.
- Once the sugar mix reaches a dark amber color, add butter and mix until butter has melted then remove from heat.
- Carefully pour in cream and mix it till it bubbles.
- Mix until mix is smooth.
- The caramel will need to cool several minutes then pour into a mason jar to cool completely then refrigerate.
Have you ever tried a salted caramel frosting recipe? Once you do, you will want to FROST ALL THE THINGS! 😉
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.