Chocolate chips in a pumpkin bread recipe? Absolutely. Don’t knock it till you try it, and I definitely suggest you do so.
Pumpkin bread is a delicious fall treat. It’s ideal any time of day and perfect to serve to guests during the busy holiday season.
Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips
Everything is better with chocolate chips, right? Well, I guess that’s just my opinion, but you can be the judge when you make this recipe.
A slice of warm pumpkin bread during the cool, fall season is delicious with or without chocolate chips. Give this chocolate chip pumpkin bread a try.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
- Granulated sugar
- Light brown sugar
- 100% pure pumpkin
- Vegetable oil
- Orange juice
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
Pumpkin bread with chocolate chips directions
Move your oven rack to the lower third position. This is to prevent the top of the bread from browning too soon. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan by greasing it or spraying with a non-stick spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt until combined.
Whisk in the pumpkin, oil, and orange juice.
Slowly combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients and gently mix together. Do not over mix, there will be a few lumps and that is okay.
Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes. Loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil halfway through to prevent the top from burning.
Test to see if the bread is done by inserting a toothpick into the middle of the loaf. It comes out clean with a few crumbs, it’s done.
Let the bread cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
Slice and serve!
Recipe notes and FAQ
How should I store this bread?
Store the bread in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
Make it ahead of time!
This recipe creates a very moist bread. It’s even better on day two, so feel free to make it the day before you need it.
Can I freeze this bread?
After baking, this pumpkin bread can be frozen for up to 3 months. Simply thaw it out overnight in the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature before serving.
Do I have to use chocolate chips?
You can replace the chocolate chips with pecans, walnuts, cinnamon chips, any flavor baking chips, or your favorite nuts.
Can I make this recipe into muffins?
Yes, you can use the same recipe to make muffins by simply diving the batter into a greased muffin pan. Bake the muffins for 17-20 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- 1 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 ¼ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups 100% pure pumpkin
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Adjust the oven rack to the lower third position and preheat the oven to 350 degrees F to prevent the bread from browning too soon.
- Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and salt together until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, and brown sugar together until combined.
- Whisk in the pumpkin, oil, and orange juice.
- Pour these wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and gently mix together. Be sure not to over mix – there will be a few lumps.
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes, making sure to loosely cover the bread with aluminum foil halfway through to prevent the top from browning too much.
- Insert a toothpick into the center of the loaf – if it comes out clean with just a few crumbs, it is finished baking.
- Allow the bread to cool completely in the pan on a cooling rack.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 37mgSodium: 304mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 35gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Breads to Make
Please pin this image to your fall recipe board to save and share!
Subscribe to the blog if you like recipes like this.
Let me know if you try this chocolate chip pumpkin bread!