I acknowledge that Petfinder is partnering with me to participate in its “#MetOnPetfinder 20th anniversary celebration” program. As a part of the celebration, I am receiving compensation to promote Petfinder. All opinions and experiences are my own. My post complies with the Word of Mouth Marketing Association (WOMMA) Ethics Code and applicable FTC guidelines.
Sometimes I think people think I'm nuts when I talk about my rescue dogs. I gush about them like they are my family. However, if you know, you know. My rescue dogs rescue me right back on a daily basis. Being a pet parent is challenging, but worth the rewards a thousand times over.
I need to be honest here. My pet past is not impressive. When I was younger, I went through an exotic animal phase. I was young, impulsive, and attracted to everything unique. I had a few jobs where I made enough money to splurge like this. As much as I truly did love animals, I was not ready for the responsibility. Thankfully, my Gram is a natural caretaker, and all living things gravitate toward her. She ended up taking extraordinary care of all of my animals. It doesn't stop the self-loathing I have from those years. I don't recommend getting pets until you are mature and settled.
Bring us to the present day where all I want to do is care for my rescue dogs. My lifestyle is ideal for pets. They love that I am home all the time, and always around to spoil the heck out of them. We have three dogs, and two of them are rescues. Moving forward, all of our dogs will be rescues. Knowing you make a difference in an animal's life is the first reward of many to come.
5 Ways My Rescue Dogs Rescue Me Right Back
- Mental – I have a nice batch of mental issues, the most debilitating being my anxiety. The Grump senses my emotions and curls up next to me at just the right times. Franklin, however, has his own issues with anxiety. I think he's in the perfect place with us since I can empathize with him. Since I know what it's like, I do my best to help him without pushing him too far. As part of our morning ritual, The Grump likes to be held on my lap like a baby. I have yet to get this on video, but it's a goal. I tell him what an amazing boy he is, and it's just such a peaceful, heart-warming way to start the day. It's also quite comical to my husband!
- Activity – Yes, most dogs will lounge around all day without any problem. But, they have their moments where they need to expel some energy. Going for walks or simply playing around the house makes us all more active. Seeing them “smile” when we go for walks motivates me to do it more often.
- Humor – Mike and I crack up on a daily basis because of our dogs. They each have such hilarious little quirks and individual personalities. It's gotten to the point where we all understand each other in our own language.
- Purpose – My dogs give me a sense of purpose. I have a deep need to help animals. I know there are a ton of problems in this world, but my pull is always toward the animals. My ultimate goal is to run a rescue group of my own one day.
- Family – We haven't created any human children, but our dogs make us feel like a family. I know it's not your average family, but it works for us. The five of us curled up on the couch is my happy place. There's no place I'd rather be.
My rescue dogs fill my heart with love and joy. It's not all cuddles and playtime, though. Of course, caring for pets is a lot of work. But, it's so worth it. Rescuing can be a two-way street. Helping animals in need can help you right back.
Please consider adoption if you plan to add a pet to your family. Petfinder makes it easy to help you find a wonderful pet companion.
Petfinder #MetOnPetfinder 20th Anniversary Celebration
Here's an easy way that you can help Petfinder right now. Petfinder's goal for their anniversary was to reach 1.25 million views on this video. They just reached this goal and are donating $250,000 benefitting 25 shelters and rescue members to continue to transform the life of pets. Please help raise awareness by continuing to watch and share this video. If you’re considering adding a pet to your family, you can go to Petfinder to search the more than 300,000 adoptable pets that are available.
My rescue dogs are my world. Please share your rescue story using the hashtag #MetOnPetfinder and leave comments below. I'd love to read your stories!
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.