With the kids home for the summer, cold sandwiches become a form of art. We also have the best tuna salad sandwich recipe that is pretty classic and never gets old. We headed to Meijer to stock up on ingredients because with two growing teens in the house it seems we're always running out of something. As an mperks member, we also saved money on this trip. This post was sponsored by Sargento as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central, and all opinions expressed in my post are my own.
Best Tuna Salad Sandwich Recipe
When I was little, I watched Big Top Peewee, and in that gem of a movie his girlfriend makes him a sandwich–egg salad, if I remember correctly–and carefully wraps it in wax paper. Don't ask me why this is such a vivid, lasting memory, but ever since then, sandwich making has been a labor of love. It must've been the effort she put in and the pride behind her sack lunch because the fate of that meal wasn't great. I think it ended up washing down a river.
Whatever the reason behind my extra weird psyche, I freaking love building the best tuna salad sandwich. I've perfected this recipe to my liking over the years, and I hope you'll enjoy it too.
This recipe makes two good-sized sandwiches. If you like them super-stuffed, then maybe one or one and a half.
- 2 slices of your favorite bread
- 1 can chunk light tuna in water (we use pole & line wild caught)
- Sargento® Slices: Ultra Thin® Provolone
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow carrot (reserve a handful of shreds)
- 1/8 cup chopped red onion (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil mayonnaise
- pinch garlic salt
- 3 slices of plum tomato
- 3 thin slices of English cucumber
- Drain tuna and put into small mixing bowl.
- Wash celery and yellow carrot. Chop celery and peel the yellow carrot before chopping, reserving a few shreds. If using red onion, chop that as well.
- Add mayo, salt, celery, yellow carrot, and onion to tuna. Mix well.
- Slice tomato and cucumber.
- Build your sandwich! Start with the tuna salad, then layer carrot shreds, tomato, cucumber, 1-3 slices of Sargento® Slices: Ultra Thin® Provolone cheese.
- Slice in half and serve immediately or lovingly wrap in wax paper with a striped piece of kitchen string. 🙂 Baked potato chips go really well with this sandwich.
This tuna salad sandwich recipe can be easily tweaked to your liking. You can decrease the calories by using a veggie wrap, tortilla, or large leaf of lettuce; use less mayonnaise, and one slice of Sargento® Slices: Ultra Thin® Provolone cheese instead of three. I love using 100% real, natural cheese and these Ultra Thin® Slices allow you to control the amount to your preference.
Shopping at Meijer
Head on over to a Meijer near you and if you're an mperks member, search for “Sargento” until 7/15/2017 for $1 off 2 Sargento® Slices products.
Shopping at Meijer is always a wonderful experience. They have an excellent selection of everything I need and the layout of the store is so spacious it never feels crowded. I cannot stress the importance of this–grocery shopping can cause a decent bit of anxiety. I'm always worried I'll forget something on my list–or heaven forbid, forget my list itself–get stuck in long lines or have to wait behind slower shoppers in crowded aisles. At Meijer, I'm always able to whip around and get everything like a ninja which provides priceless piece of mind.
If you're not an mperks member already, sign up and grab all you need to make this best tuna salad sandwich recipe!
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.