Wild rice salad is a unique cold salad to try. If you’re looking to add color and texture to your diet, add this honey mint salad to your recipe list.
Whip up a batch of wild rice salad to bring to a gathering, serve as a side dish, or eat as a meal (another great Meatless Monday option).
The dominant flavor is mint, so you can add “refreshing” to the list of adjectives used to describe this recipe.
Wild Rice Health Benefits
Wild rice in a salad? Sure, why not? At first, I thought rice in a salad was odd, but we use pasta in salads, so it’s not that far off. Wild rice has many health benefits, so any chance to eat more of it is welcome.
We’ve reached the season where immune-boosting is a priority. Not only is wild rice high in fiber, but it packs an impressive amount of vitamins and antioxidants.
Eating this tasty grain regularly may even improve your heart health and help decrease your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Keep this recipe in mind if you have mint to use up from your garden, or if you plan to go apple picking. If neither of those two scenarios applies, I suggest buying the ingredients anyway. 😉
If you’re into meal planning for the week, you might be able to scoop out a couple of days worth of this salad.
I haven’t tried yet, but I imagine anything more than two days would be soggy. However, you can prepare most of the mixture and slice a fresh apple on the day you plan to eat it.
Honey Mint Wild Rice Salad Recipe
- Cook rice according to package instructions and cool completely.
- Combine apple chunks with lemon juice and mix well.
- In a small bowl, add orange juice, olive oil, vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper and whisk well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, apples, almonds, and mint and mix well. Add orange sauce and mix well to evenly coat.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or until serving.
- Serves 6-8.
Have you ever tried a wild rice salad?