Oooh, pinky up for these bad boys. Don’t these brown butter bourbon cookies sound sophisticated? If you’re looking for a rich and buttery chocolate chip cookie to make this holiday season, look no further.
Browned butter, buttered pecans, chocolate chips, a hint of bourbon, and flaky sea salt give these cookies a burst of flavor in each bite.
Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
We all love chocolate chip cookies, but why not spruce them up sometimes? By adding a few flavorful ingredients, we get an indulgent cookie fit for John Dutton and Rip Wheeler. Mmm.
If you’re not hanging out with the cast of Yellowstone, these tasty treats are also great for Christmas cookies, Yellowstone watch parties, or whenever you crave a flavorful cookie.
Bourbon Pecan Cookies Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour: Feel free to use gluten-free flour for GF cookies.
- Pecans: Chopped.
- Unsalted butter: We are adding our own salt.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Dark chocolate chips
- Flaky sea salt
Chocolate Chip Bourbon Cookies Directions
Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F.
Chop the pecans if they aren’t already chopped.
Next, make the butter pecans by melting 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
Add your chopped pecans to the skillet and stir to coat them all in butter.
Let the pecans toast for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and set them aside.
The next step is to brown the butter by adding 1 cup of butter to a medium skillet on medium heat.
Stir the butter often and cook just until the butter turns an amber color. There will be little brown bits at the bottom of the pan.
We also browned butter in these brown butter pumpkin cookies.
Remove the skillet from the heat right away and pour the browned butter into a bowl and set aside. Let the butter cool to room temperature.
Get a large mixing bowl and add the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
Whisk them together and set aside.
In a separate large mixing bowl, add the cooled brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
Cream together using a hand or
Add in the bourbon and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
Add in the eggs one at a time and mix for about 15 seconds each time.
Fold the dry flour mixture into the batter, stirring just until combined.
Fold in the dark chocolate chips and butter pecans.
Use a 1/4 cup cookie scoop to scoop the batter onto a large baking sheet.
Leave about 3 inches between each cookie dough ball.
Gently flatten each cookie dough ball using clean hands or the bottom of a glass.
Top each cookie with additional chopped pecans and chocolate chips.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown.
Sprinkle the flaky sea salt onto each freshly baked cookie.
Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Enjoy the rich buttery goodness!
Bourbon Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipe Notes and FAQ
Do these cookies taste strong of bourbon?
No, the bourbon flavor is not strong and just adds a hit of flavor.
Do I have to brown the butter?
The browned butter gives this recipe a rich and nutty flavor. It really makes the recipe much better, so it’s best not to skip this step.
How should I store these cookies?
Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 4 days.
Bourbon Brown Butter Pecan Chocolate Chip Cookies
These rich and buttery chocolate chip pecan cookies are perfect for the holiday season and beyond.
Buttered Pecans ingredients
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped
- 1 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- 2 ¼ cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons bourbon
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips (plus extra for decoration)
- ¼ cup chopped pecans (for decoration)
- ½ tablespoon flaky sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- To make the buttered pecans, melt 1 ½ tablespoons of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Toss in the chopped pecans and stir until coated in the butter. Let the pecans toast for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Turn off the heat and set the skillet aside.
- To brown the butter, add 1 cup of butter to a medium skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently and cook until the butter turns an amber color with brown bits at the bottom of the pan. Quickly remove the skillet from the heat and pour the browned butter into a dish to cool. Let it come to room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, mix together the cooled brown butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar using a stand mixer or hand mixer.
- Add the bourbon and vanilla extract, and mix until well-incorporated.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, mixing for about 15 seconds after each addition.
- Gently fold the flour mixture into the batter until just combined.
- Mix in the dark chocolate chips and chopped buttered pecans.
- Use a ¼ cup cookie scoop to portion out the batter onto a large baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches between each dough ball. Use your hands or the bottom of a glass to gently flatten each ball of dough. Add extra chopped pecans and chocolate chips to decorate the top of each cookie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle flaky sea salt over the cookies while they are still warm.
- Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 264Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 38mgSodium: 278mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 2gSugar: 16gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Unique Cookie Recipes
Please pin this image to your cookie board to save and share!
Don’t forget to subscribe to the blog for more recipes, free printables, and more!
Please come back and let me know if you try these brown butter pecan cookies. I’d love to hear how they turned out for you!