October is here and you know what that means! Super fun spookiness in the kitchen. Evan and I had a blast making these zombie llama and severed hand sugar cookies. This is an easy cut-out sugar cookies recipe that can be used for any season.
Zombie Llama and Severed Hand Sugar Cookies
If you’re having brains for a snack, then it only makes sense to have zombie llamas and severed body parts join the party. With a hint of orange flavor and strawberry jam for a bloody garnish, these are disgustingly delicious.
- Sugar cookie mix
- Llama and tiny hand cookie cutters (or whatever shape you prefer)
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp orange extract
- Rolling pin
- Strawberry jam
- Food coloring
- Prepare dough per package instructions for cut out cookies substituting any liquid with milk and orange extract. For us that meant decreasing the butter by 1 tbsp and using a small egg instead of a large one.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to desired thickness and use your cookie cutters to cut out your shapes.
- Evenly space them on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Using a toothpick or knife dipped in red food coloring, carve out small chunks of dough to look like bleeding wounds. Use black or a dark mixture of the food coloring to add depth to the wounds.
- You can garnish with the jam before or after baking, or both.*
- Bake per package instructions or until golden brown.
*Adding the jam before baking creates a coagulated look while garnishing with it after the cut out sugar cookies have baked provides a fresher guts look.
A cheap dissection kit (not edible) adds just the right look. Serve with cold milk to complete these easy Halloween Recipes. Your guests will be screaming for more!