This birthday cake trifle is made with funfetti cake mix and funfetti cookies. It’s truly a sprinkle explosion fit for the happiest of happy birthdays.
If layers of cake, pudding, whipped cream, cookies, and sprinkles sound good to you, save this funfetti trifle recipe for your next celebration.
Happy Birthday Cake Trifle
As you may know, we love to use Funfetti to create colorful birthday desserts. We now have a whole section of recipes that use confetti cake mix. We also have a pretty giant section of trifle recipes, so it only makes sense to combine the two!
This Funfetti birthday cake trifle is a quick and easy dessert that can be modified in many ways to save you time. You can easily explore your grocery store bakery section to grab what you need.
Birthday Cake Trifle Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this confetti trifle recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Funfetti cake mix and ingredients to make the cake, usually eggs, water, and oil.
- Instant vanilla pudding: You can also use French vanilla.
- Milk: I use 2%. Use what you normally would to make pudding.
- Whipped topping: Thawed Cool Whip or your favorite brand.
- Rainbow sprinkles: You can use any color of sprinkles you’d like.
- Funfetti sugar cookies: Check your bakery for a colorful and crunchy cookie. You can also make your own funfetti sugar cookies, or choose any store-bought vanilla cookie with or without sprinkles.
Funfetti Trifle Directions
Bake the cake according to the directions on the back of the package. This will depend on the cake mix you buy. Any type of funfetti or store-brand confetti cake will work.
Use a 13×9 pan to bake the cake. Let it cool completely before slicing one end of the cake about 3″ wide. Cut the rest of the cake in half. If you choose, trim off the brown edges of the cake.
Make the pudding by whisking together the milk and pudding mix. Place it in the refrigerator for 5 minutes or until it is set.
Cut the cake into cubes and place a single layer in the bottom of your
Add half of the vanilla pudding for the next layer.
Follow up with half of the whipped topping.
Crumble the cookies and place them on top of the whipped cream layer.
Sprinkle on some rainbow sprinkles.
Place the rest of the whipped topping into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Set it aside.
Continue layering the trifle with cake, pudding, and cookie crumbles.
Use the piping bag filled with whipped topping to add dollops of whipped cream on top.
Gently press a cookie into each dollop.
Pipe on additional whipped topping around the cookies if desired.
Store in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve. Add a birthday candle and enjoy!
Another option is to layer the ingredients into individual cups like in these banana split pudding cups.
Birthday Cake Trifle Recipe Notes and FAQ
Can I make this birthday cake trifle the day before?
You can get all the layers ready the day before, but don’t add the layers to your
What kind of cookies are best in this birthday trifle?
Crunchy cookies are best in a birthday cake trifle. We ended up using a soft cookie for the sprinkles, but typically it’s best to have that layer of crunch for the texture. So, if you have to trade color for crunch, I would do so. Golden Oreos would be a great choice if you can’t find a crunchy cookie with sprinkles.
- 1 package, 15.25 oz, funfetti cake mix and ingredients to make cake
- 1 box, 3 oz, instant vanilla pudding
- 2 cups milk
- 1 small tub, 8 oz, whipped topping, thawed
- rainbow sprinkles
- funfetti sugar cookies
- Bake cake according to package directions and using a 13x9 pan. Let cool completely. Slice one end of the cake about 3" wide. Cut the remaining cake in half. If desired, trim the brown edges off of the cake.
- Whisk together milk and pudding and refrigerate for 5 minutes or until set.
- Cube the cake and place in a single layer in the bottom of the trifle dish. Top with half of the pudding and half of the whipped topping. Crumble cookies and place on the top of the whipped topping. Add rainbow sprinkles.
- Place remaining whipped topping into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip. Set aside.
- Continue with layers, adding a single layer of cake and pudding. Crumble additional bits of cake on to top of the pudding. Use the pastry bag filled with whipped topping to add dollops of topping on the top. Gently press a cookie into each dollop. Pipe additional whipped topping around the cookies if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 6mgSodium: 240mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 0gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
If you’d rather order birthday desserts, check out my review of Crumbs Bakeshop goodies!
Make sure you get all your Birthday Freebies — click that affiliate link to see all the possibilities.
Pin this image to your dessert board to save and share!
Subscribe to the blog if you like colorful desserts like this.
Please let me know if you make this birthday cake trifle. I would love to hear how it turned out for you!