Bacon wrapped water chestnuts make a quick and easy appetizer idea. I love appetizers, I would eat them in place of a meal any day of the week! My mouth waters at the thought of the flavor combinations that appetizers offer, sweet, spicy, salty, and savory YUMMO!
Simple and delicious appetizer recipe, a bacon lovers dream, 3 ingredients is all you need!
Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts
In Hawaii we call appetizers “pupus” (I know, doesn’t sound appetizing to mainlanders, lol) give me a “pupu platter” and I’m in heaven! I’m also a huge fan of bacon (everything tastes better wrapped in bacon!), that’s one of the reasons I love this recipe so much, besides the fact that it only take 3 ingredients, is so very simple to create, and leaves your guest craving more.
No joke, every time I serve my bacon wrapped water chestnuts, they are the first thing to disappear and every time I ask what I can bring to a get together or a party, the request is always the same.
So I decided to pass this well loved, super simple recipe on to all of you!
What you will need:
1 lb. of bacon (reg or thick, pork or turkey)
1- 8 oz can – whole water chestnuts
brown sugar for sprinkling on top!
pre-heat over to 350
makes approx 30-32 pieces
First you need to cut the chestnuts into smaller pieces, in 1/2 for smaller and 1/3 or 1/4 for larger. Cut bacon strips into 1/3 size pieces just big enough to wrap completely around the water chestnut and overlap a little. (When using thinner bacon you can wrap it around twice)
Line a pan/cookie sheet with parchment paper, roll each piece of water chestnut in bacon and secure with a round, sharp toothpick. Sprinkle each with brown sugar. (can be prepared ahead of time if needed)
Place pan of prepared appetizers into oven and bake at 350 for approx 25-30 mins, or until bacon is done to your liking. When done, remove and let cool a bit, serve warm.
- 1 lb bacon, reg or thick, pork or turkey
- 8 oz whole water chestnuts
- 1 tbsp brown sugar, for sprinkling on top
- toothpicks, round
- Preheat oven to 350
- Drain water from chestnuts
- Cut bacon strips into 3rds
- Cut water chestnuts in 1/2 or 1/4 size pieces
- Line a pan/cookie sheet with parchment paper
- Roll each piece of water chestnut in bacon and secure with a round, sharp toothpick (When using thinner bacon you can wrap it around twice)
- Sprinkle each with brown sugar
- Place pan of prepared appetizers into oven and bake at 350 for approx 25-30 mins, or until bacon is done to your liking.
- When done, remove and let cool a bit
- Serve warm
Serving Size:1 piece
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 120Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 29mgSodium: 358mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 10g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
When would you serve bacon wrapped water chestnuts?