If you’re looking for an easy Thanksgiving dessert, give this pumpkin spice latte trifle a look. The layers of pumpkin bread, coffee pudding, whipped cream, and crushed cookies are something you don’t want to miss.
This is a pumpkin trifle recipe with coffee added for more of a PSL flavor. If you love pumpkin spice lattes and pretty much all the other pumpkin spice desserts of the season, here they are all layered up together!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Trifle for an Easy Thanksgiving Dessert
Unless you’re new here, you know trifle recipes are my favorite dessert to bring to a party. They are so easy and people just love them.
Trifles are also great these days because if you can’t find something in the store, there’s usually a safe swap. For example, we originally wanted to make this recipe with pumpkin cake. There was no pumpkin cake mix at the store, so we grabbed some pumpkin bread mix.
With our eerie new reality of empty shelves, it’s good to have some versatile dessert recipes like this one. And, you know what? Pumpkin bread is quite possibly the better choice anyway!
Pumpkin Spice Latte Trifle Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this easy trifle recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Pumpkin bread. Make a pumpkin bread or cake from scratch, from a mix, or buy a pre-made one to save time. If you’d like a sweeter trifle, use pumpkin cake.
- Milk. I typically use 2% but use whatever type of milk you’d normally use to make the pudding.
- Instant vanilla pudding. French vanilla pudding will also work.
- Instant coffee. I like to use Death Wish coffee for a rich, bold flavor.
- Hot water. Used to make the instant coffee.
- Whipped topping. Thawed Cool Whip, or your preferred brand of whipped topping.
- Pumpkin cookies. Tate’s Bake Shop cookies are used here, but feel free to use any type of crunchy pumpkin cookie.
PSL Trifle Directions
Step One: Make everything for the layers.
Bake or buy your pumpkin bread or cake and cut it into cubes.
Combine the instant coffee with the hot water and mix until it’s completely dissolved.
Use bold coffee if you really like that coffee flavor. Death Wish Instant coffee is perfect for this.
Ever have days where it feels like your coffee could use some coffee? Try Death Wish Coffee -- The World's Strongest Coffee.
- Bold, not bitter
- Highest-quality arabica + robusta beans
- Fair Trade
- USDA Certified Organic
- Many Options & Varieties
- Fun, Edgy, & Rebellious Packaging!
Whisk together the instant pudding and milk.
Pour in the coffee and mix well.
Refrigerate the pudding for at least five minutes or until it is set.
Step Two: Layer the trifle.
Place half of the pumpkin bread cubes into your trifle dish. Leave the remaining cubes for another layer.
Add half of the coffee vanilla pudding mixture to the top of the bread cubes and spread evenly.
Top with half of the whipped topping.
Crush 7 of the cookies and sprinkle them onto the whipped topping.
Repeat the layers – bread, pudding, whipped topping, cookies – until your trifle dish is full. End the layers with the crushed cookies.
Step Three: Store and serve.
Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
PSL Trifle Recipe Notes and FAQ
Do I have to use the coffee in the pudding?
If you don’t want to add coffee to the pudding, you are making a pumpkin trifle. Our goal here was to make a pumpkin spice latte trifle, so the coffee is a must. I’m quite confident the recipe would still be delicious without it.
Can I make this pumpkin cake trifle ahead of time?
You can get all the layers ready the day before, but do not assemble the trifle until the day of your event. Everything will get mushy if you layer them up too soon.
How can I make this less pumpkin-y?
Too much pumpkin flavor? Feel free to swap out the pumpkin cookies for any kind of crunchy vanilla cookie. Golden Oreos would probably be delicious.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Trifle Recipe
Layers of pumpkin spice latte deliciousness for an irresistible fall dessert. Easy to make and an instant hit for PSL lovers.
- 1 loaf, 16 oz, pumpkin bread
- 2 cups milk
- 1 small box, 3 oz, instant vanilla pudding
- 6 tablespoons instant coffee
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- 1 small tub, 8oz, whipped topping, thawed
- 14 pumpkin cookies (one 7oz package Tate’s Bake Shop pumpkin cookies)
- In a small bowl, add instant coffee and water and mix well until completely dissolved.
- Mix together pudding and milk and whisk well. Add coffee and mix. Refrigerate for 5 minutes or until set.
- Cut loaf of bread into 1” cubes and place half of them into a trifle dish. Set remaining bread cubes aside.
- Add half of the pudding on top of the bread cubes and spread evenly. Top with half of the whipped topping. Crush 7 cookies on top of the whipped cream.
- Repeat layers, ending with crushed cookies.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 265Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 33mgSodium: 227mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 23gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Pumpkin Spice Desserts
Pin this image to your holiday dessert boards to save and share!
Be sure to subscribe if you like recipes like this.
Let me know if you try this pumpkin spice latte trifle. I’d love to hear how it turned out for you!