Here is an easy recipe for pumpkin snack cakes. These snack cake bars are great to add to school lunchboxes, enjoy with coffee, or grab as a little afternoon treat.
You can make this pumpkin snack cake bar recipe gluten-free or sweeter to use as a dessert. The cakes are moist, but hold together nicely to pick up and eat, sell at a bake sale, or add to lunches.
Pumpkin Spice Snack Cakes
Have you pumpkin spiced up your life enough yet? If not, you are in the right place. We have pumpkin recipes for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and snacks!
What makes these snack cakes and not dessert? Well, they are not as sweet as your typical dessert, like pumpkin squares, making them ideal pumpkin snacking cakes.
The taste and texture of these cakes has me picturing my dad saying, “Hmm, these would go great with my morning coffee.” 😉
Pumpkin Snack Cakes Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour: Feel free to use gluten-free flour. Choose all gluten-free ingredients to make this a delicious GF fall snack.
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Brown sugar
- Pumpkin purée: Use 100% pure pumpkin. Make sure it says that on the can.
- Unsweetened applesauce: If you use sweetened applesauce, you will have to adjust the sugar.
- White chocolate chips: For an optional topping.
- Pecans: Finely chopped pecans are another optional topping.
Pumpkin Snacking Cakes Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9×13 baking dish and set it aside.
Add the flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to a large bowl. Whisk it to combine.
Add the eggs to a medium bowl and whisk them until they are fully combined and frothy.
Add the sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin purée, and applesauce.
Stir to fully incorporate.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir until fully combined.
Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish and bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Once the cake is done, remove it from the oven and transfer it to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the topping by adding the white chocolate chips to a small microwave-safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir and repeat the process until the chocolate is fully melted and smooth.
Transfer the melted white chocolate to a small Ziploc bag. Cut off a corner of the bag and drizzle it onto the cooled cake.
Immediately sprinkle the finely chopped pecans over the chocolate drizzle. The toppings are optional, of course.
Slice and enjoy!
Pumpkin Snack Cake Recipe Notes and FAQ
How to store pumpkin snack cake bars.
Store the cake bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to five days.
How to make the bars sweeter if you choose.
These bars are not overly sweet. If you’d like to make these pumpkin bars sweeter, mix 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips into the batter before pouring it into the baking pan. Another option is to increase both of the sugars to 2/3 cup each.
Can I make the recipe into a full cake?
Yes, you can skip slicing this cake into bars if you’d rather serve it as a cake. Swap out the white chocolate chips and pecans for a cream cheese frosting for a delicious Thanksgiving cake.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1.5 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 15 oz can 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup white chocolate chips
- ⅓ cup finely chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x13 baking dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl, add flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs to a medium bowl and whisk until fully combined and frothy. Add sugar, brown sugar, pumpkin purée, and applesauce. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until fully combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 28-33 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and place it on a cooling rack until completely cooled.
- For the topping: Add white chocolate chips to a small bowl and microwave for 30 seconds on 50% power. Stir and repeat this process until chocolate is smooth and fully melted. Transfer white chocolate to a small sandwich bag. Cut off one corner of the bag and drizzle onto cooled cake.
- Immediately sprinkle finely chopped pecans over the white chocolate drizzle. Slice and enjoy!
- Store cake bars in an airtight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
- The bars are not overly sweet. If you’d like a sweeter treat, mix ½ cup white chocolate chips into the batter prior to pouring into the baking pan. Or increase both of the sugars to ⅔ cups each.
- These bars are moist but hold together very well. They can simply be sliced and picked up to enjoy.
- These would be a great addition to school lunch boxes, for fall bake sales, or even added to the breakfast table during the holidays.
- Swap out the white chocolate and pecans for your favorite cream cheese frosting and serve as a delicious Thanksgiving cake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 177Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 48mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Fall Pumpkin Treats to Make
Pin this image to your recipe boards to save and share!
Subscribe to the blog if you love recipes like this one.
Let me know if you try these pumpkin snack cake bars!