Mike has been requesting oatmeal cookies for quite some time now. What better recipe to use than his own mother’s? My mother-in-law had given me a bunch of her amazing recipes. I have finally started to put them to good use.
Mom’s Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 2 cups butter (4 sticks)
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- 5 cups quick oatmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2-3 cups chopped walnuts
- 2-3 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 cups Craisins & 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped dates, or dried chopped apricots, or cut up dried prunes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla, and water in a large bowl.
- In another large bowl mix flour, oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Gradually mix dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Add your choice of optional add-ins and mix together by hand.
- Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12 minutes.
For this batch, I cut the recipe in half. It makes a lot of oatmeal cookies which is great for around the holidays for cookie exchanges and gift-giving. For sweets for my Valentine’s day sweetie, half the recipe was more than enough. We were still able to share, too.
I chose to make some with chocolate chips, some with raisins, and some with Craisins and white chocolate chips. My favorite were definitely the ones with the Craisins (dried cranberries) and white chocolate chips. That combo was super scrumptious. The red Craisins make them a little more festive, too. Perfect for Valentine’s day or anytime!
The texture of these cookies is great, too. The cookies are light, fluffy, and just chewy enough in my opinion. Give them a try if you like oatmeal cookies!
Monday 12th of June 2017
These cookies sound delicious, definitely going to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.
Saturday 14th of March 2015
I love oatmeal cookies they taste good like to try this
Monday 23rd of February 2015
I love cookies and I especially like oatmeal and choc chip cookies. I am going to try this recipe. Thanks.
Tuesday 17th of February 2015
Love making cookies. Never thought of adding chocolate chips to oatmeal cookies before.
Wednesday 11th of February 2015
These look really good! I have pinned the recipe to my board. Thank you!