DIY coffee spoons are so fun to make for so many occasions. Baby shower favors, bridal shower favors, the possibilities are endless.
My favorite thing about Valentine’s Day is all the chocolate. It comes in all forms and it doesn’t even matter if I’m single or not.
Valentine’s Day candy simply makes everything wonderful. We’ve decorated these chocolate spoons with hearts and pretty colors for Valentine’s Day, but feel free to get creative to make them for any holiday or event.
DIY Chocolate Coffee Spoons with Free Printables
Combining chocolate with my other favorite vice–coffee–is just a set up for greatness. Chocolate-dipped spoons are the ultimate way to stir your coffee into a heavenly concoction.
Easily switch up your decorations to fit any theme. Get creative with your favorite colors, designs, and just let your artistic side shine.
They are super easy to make. Create a homemade gift of dry hot chocolate mix with a couple chocolate spoons for a cozy present to anyone.
Reasons to Love Making Chocolate Spoons
- Personal touch: Making a gift by hand adds a personal touch that store-bought gifts can’t match. Your loved one will appreciate the effort and thoughtfulness that goes into a DIY gift.
- Cost-effective: DIY gifts are often more cost-effective than buying something from a store, especially if you already have most of the materials on hand.
- Delicious treat: Chocolate-covered spoons are a decadent treat that most people will love. They’re perfect for a sweet and romantic gesture.
- Easy to make: This DIY project is straightforward and easy to follow, making it a great choice for anyone, regardless of their crafting experience.
- Customizable: With the included free printable tags, you can add a personal touch to your gift with cute Valentine’s Day sayings. You can also choose different types of chocolate and toppings to make the spoons unique.
- Fun to create: Making something by hand is a fun and creative process, and it’s a great way to spend quality time with a loved one or friend. Make them with your friends for Galentine’s Day!
- Upcycle: If you have a lot of disposable spoons leftover from a party, wash them up and cover them in chocolate!
Supplies Needed to Make Chocolate-Covered Spoons
Here’s what you need to make chocolate-covered spoons. Any measurements are in the how-to card below.
- Plastic spoons – I like the silver ones and I also got a smaller size just for fun
- Chocolates – White, Dark, and I used a Red one for decorating
- Fun Sprinkles (edible glitter hearts are so cool!)
- Clear bags for wrapping the spoons up to gift
- Decorative string or ribbons
- Double-boiler (simply set a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water)
- Cookie Sheet
- Wax paper
- Printable tags – print them for free below
- Scissors – to cut out the tags
How to Make Chocolate Coffee Spoons
Step 1: Gather supplies and line a baking sheet with wax paper.
Step 2: Set up double-boilers. I used two pots and two glass bowls for the dark and white chocolate, but then melted the red baking chips in a glass dish in the microwave.
Step 3: Once everything is melted, dip your spoons. Evenly coat them and then place them on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper.
Step 4: While the chocolate is still cooling, decorate. Recruit creative minds if necessary. (Adam LOVES this job–but refuses to admit it.) Use sprinkles or drizzle different colored chocolates over the spoons. Using a toothpick is fun to create swirly designs.
Step 5: Let cool in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before putting in baggies and tying with a ribbon or string.
What to Gift with the Spoons
Chocolate-covered spoons can be paired with a variety of items to create a complete and thoughtful Valentine’s Day gift. Here are some suggestions:
- Hot drinks: The chocolate-covered spoons are perfect for stirring into hot drinks like coffee or hot chocolate. Include the spoons along with a bag of coffee or packages of hot chocolate.
- Gift basket: Put the chocolate-covered spoons in a gift basket with other treats like cookies, candies, or gourmet hot chocolate mix.
- Flowers: If you’re going the traditional route of candies and flowers for Valentine’s Day, include a bouquet of flowers.
- Homemade goodies: Consider adding other homemade goodies to your gift, such as cookies, hot chocolate melts, coffee melts, brownies, or cake.
Recipe Substitutions and Variations
- Chocolate type: Experiment with different types of chocolate, such as dark chocolate, milk chocolate, white chocolate, or candy melts. You can also use a mixture of different chocolates for a unique flavor.
- Toppings: Add toppings like sprinkles, crushed nuts, dried fruit, or crushed cookies for extra texture and flavor. Use edible glitter and luster dust to add shimmer and sparkle.
- Flavored syrups: Stir in flavored syrups, such as caramel, hazelnut, or peppermint, into the melted chocolate for a fun twist.
- Spices: Add a pinch of spices, such as cinnamon or nutmeg, to the melted chocolate for a warm and cozy flavor.
- Extracts: Add extracts, such as vanilla or almond extract, to the melted chocolate for an extra touch of flavor.
- Coconut oil: Stir in a bit of coconut oil to the melted chocolate to make it smoother and easier to work with.
How to Store
To store the coffee spoons, it’s best to keep them at room temperature in an airtight container away from sources of moisture for up to two weeks. It’s also a good idea to place a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper between each spoon if you’re stacking them.
DIY Notes and FAQ
Can I use toppings other than what’s listed in the recipe?
Absolutely! You can add any toppings you like, such as sprinkles, crushed nuts, dried fruit, or crushed cookies. Get creative and have fun with it!
What can I use if I don’t have a double boiler?
If you don’t have a double boiler, you can create a makeshift one by placing a heat-safe bowl over a pot of simmering water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
Can I make these chocolate spoons for other occasions?
Yes, you can make these chocolate spoons for any occasion, not just Valentine’s Day. Simply switch up the toppings and printable tags to suit the occasion.
Where is the free printable?
Click here to print the tags.
- Plastic Spoons
- Melting Chocolates
- Fun Sprinkles
- Clear Bags
- Decorative String or Ribbons
- Wax Paper
- Printable Tags (free printable in the blog post)
- Cookie Sheet
- Gather supplies and line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Set up double-boilers using two pots and two glass bowls for the dark and white chocolate. Melt red baking chips in a glass dish in the microwave.
- Dip your spoons into the melted chocolate and evenly coat them, then place on the lined baking sheet.
- While the chocolate is still cooling, decorate with sprinkles or drizzle different colored chocolates over the spoons using a toothpick for fun swirly designs.
- Let the chocolate spoons cool in the fridge for at least 20 minutes before placing in baggies and tying with a ribbon or string.
Click the image to download your own printable cute and funny Valentine’s Day gift tags.
More Fun DIY Gift Ideas:
- Alcohol ink heart tiles to let your creativity shine
- Rose petal tub teas for a relaxing gift to encourage self-care
- Round up of DIY Valentine’s Day home decor projects
- Easier to make hot cocoa melts
- A basket of marble iced cookies
Pin this image to your DIY board to save and share!
Chocolate dipped spoons are a DIY project that you can get all kinds of creative with. Use them in a hot chocolate bar during the holidays, make a coffee corner for a brunch with the girls, even decorate some for your favorite movie on movie night. Get fancy!
Please subscribe to the blog for more fun ideas like this one. Don’t forget to share this DIY project with your family and friends.
Tag me on instagram @jensoltys if you make coffee spoons!