Move over kiddos, mocha coffee bombs are here for the adults! There’s no shortage of hot cocoa bomb recipes out there for the kids. Let’s make a more grownup version, shall we?
See how you can make easy coffee bombs as gifts for coffee lovers or a tasty treat for yourself. The recipe below calls for simple ingredients and you don’t have to fuss with sealing spheres together.
Homemade Coffee Melts
When I worked outside the home, I used to portion out instant coffee, powdered creamer, and sweetener into small plastic containers to bring to work. I could simply add hot water to this dry mix once I arrived at the office for a quick and easy cup of brew.
The first time I saw hot chocolate bombs, I immediately thought of my little to-go coffee pods I would make! I’m not trying to take credit for coffee bombs — plenty of people are making them — just sharing my little backstory on them.
Coffee Bomb Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make coffee bombs. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Milk chocolate chips
- Dark chocolate chips
- Instant coffee
- Powdered creamer
- Hot water
Mocha Coffee Bomb Directions
Microwave milk chocolate chips at 50% power in a microwave-safe bowl for 60 seconds. Stir and return to the microwave to repeat the process until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
Spoon a dollop of melted chocolate into an egg cup. Drag the spoon up the sides of the cup to evenly coat. Repeat to fill 2 additional cups. You will not use all the chocolate. Freeze the mold for 15 minutes.
Remove the mold from the freezer and make sure each cup is completely coated. Fill each cup with a tablespoon of instant coffee, a tablespoon of powdered creamer, and another tablespoon of instant coffee.
Tamp the mold if you need the ingredients to settle and fit inside.
Reheat the remaining chocolate if it’s hardened. Add a dollop to the top of each cup and spread evenly to seal. Freeze for 15 minutes.
Remove the mold from the freezer and gently pull away the chocolate from the mold. Invert the mold to completely peel the candy away from the cup.
Place the melts on a piece of wax paper round side up.
Add the dark chocolate chips to a sealable sandwich bag. Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds and knead the bag well. Repeat until completely melted.
Snip the tip of the bag and drizzle on top of the bombs. Let set to harden.
To use, place the coffee bomb into a mug and pour hot water over it.
Stir well until all the chocolate is melted and enjoy.
What to do with coffee melts.
There are so many fun things to do with your completed mocha coffee melts.
- Share them with coffee-loving friends and family.
- Place a variety of different flavors on a coffee bar area at a brunch, baby shower, bridal shower, or other event.
- Treat yourself! Make several for yourself for a tasty afternoon coffee break.
- Wrap them up for homemade food gifts for coffee lovers.
- Give them as teacher gifts, little surprises for neighbors, or a thoughtful treat for anyone.
Hot Coffee Melts Recipe Notes and FAQ
What kind of mold do you use for coffee bombs?
An Instant Pot egg bites pan is used in this coffee bomb recipe. You can use a similar silicone mold, but we like this one since it’s easy to seal the chocolate without fusing spheres together.
Do you need sweetener in the mocha coffee bombs?
The chocolate in the coffee melts adds plenty of sweetness. Of course, it depends on how sweet you like your coffee. You will want to tweak the amount of creamer and sweetener to your liking.
- 1 1/4 cups milk chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon dark chocolate chips
- 6 tablespoons instant coffee, divided
- 3 tablespoons powdered creamer, divided
- hot water
- Add milk chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave at 50% powder for 60 seconds. Stir. Return to microwave and repeat the process until chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Spoon a dollop of chocolate into an egg cup. Drag the spoon up the sides of the cup in order to evenly coat. Repeat, filling 2 additional cups. You will not use all the chocolate. Freeze mold for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and fill each cup with 1 tablespoon coffee, 1 tablespoon creamer and 1 more tablespoon coffee. Tamp the mold if you need the ingredients to settle and fit inside.
- Re-microwave the remaining chocolate if no longer soft. Add a dollop to the top of each cup and spread evenly. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer and pull chocolate away from mold before inverting the mold and peeling it away from the cup. Place round side up on a piece of wax paper.
- Add dark chocolate chips to a sealable sandwich size bag. Microwave for 30 seconds at 50% powder and knead well. Repeat until completely melted. Snip the tip of the bag and drizzle on top of the bombs. Let set to harden.
- To use: Place into a mug and pour hot water onto the bomb. Mix well until all chocolate is melted.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 426Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 3gSugar: 38gProtein: 6g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More fun coffee recipes to try
Subscribe to the blog so you don’t miss recipes like this.
Let me know if you make mocha coffee bombs!