Hot chocolate bombs have officially invaded the feeds of all my social media accounts. Rightfully so since they are an adorable way to enjoy the cozy winter drink.
What makes this hot chocolate bombs recipe a bit easier to make? It uses simple chocolate chips and you don’t have to seal together spheres. If you’re looking to make your own hot chocolate bombs with marshmallows inside, this recipe might be less intimidating to start you off.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Bombs
If the unicorn hot chocolate bombs are a bit more than you need, here is a simpler recipe to make easy hot cocoa bombs.
These are not round balls that you need to seal together as seen in other recipes, shaving off a little time and possibly frustration. Sealing the candy the way you see here also allows them to sit better should you choose to decorate them.
However, if you like the look of hot chocolate balls instead, know that these will not be round, and you might want to find a different recipe.
Hot Chocolate Bombs Ingredients
(Find exact measurements in the recipe card below)
- Chocolate chips
- White chocolate chips
- Hot chocolate mix
- Mini marshmallows
Hot Chocolate Bombs Directions
Melt the chocolate chips by adding them to a microwave-safe bowl and heating in the microwave on 50% power for 60 seconds. Stir and repeat.
Stir until completely melted and smooth.
Scoop a large dollop of melted chocolate into 3 of the sections of the mold. This mold is an Instant Pot egg bites pan.
Drag the dollop of melted chocolate chips to the bottom of the mold and up the sides to coat evenly.
Freeze for 15 minutes.
You won’t use all the chocolate for the cavities.
Remove the mold from the freezer and check to make sure each cavity is completely coated with the chocolate.
Add a tablespoon of hot chocolate mix to each cavity and top with
If necessary, reheat the remaining chocolate. Add it to the microwave and heat at 50% power for 15-30 seconds and stir until smooth.
Divide the remaining melted chocolate into thirds and add a dollop onto the top of each cavity.
Gently spread the chocolate with the back of the spoon to seal them shut.
Freeze for 15 minutes or until the chocolate is solid.
Gently pull the mold away from the candy and press on the bottom, turning the mold inside out to release the hot chocolate bomb.
Place the bombs onto a piece of wax paper.
Place a tablespoon of white chocolate chips into a resealable sandwich bag.
Microwave at 50% power for 30 seconds. Knead the bag until the chips are melted and smooth.
Snip the tip of the bag and drizzle the white chocolate onto the bombs. Let them sit to harden.
Store the cocoa bombs in a sealable plastic bag before using.
To serve, place a hot cocoa bomb into a mug and pour nearly boiling milk on top of the bomb.
Stir well until completely melted and combined.
Hot Cocoa Bomb Recipe Notes and FAQ
What kind of mold do you use for hot chocolate bombs?
The mold used here is an Instant Pot Egg Bites pan. It measures 8.25″ in diameter and about 2″ tall/high. Although these bombs are not made in the Instant Pot, this mold works well for this.
Can I make more than three hot cocoa balls at a time?
In the mold used here it works best to make three at a time. Feel free to make as many batches of three as you wish.
What size mug should I use to make hot chocolate with the bombs?
Use a large mug to make the hot cocoa. You will want at least 8 ounces of hot milk and room to add more in case the drink is too rich.
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 Tablespoon white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons hot chocolate mix, divided
- mini marshmallows
- hot milk for serving
- Add chocolate chips to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power for 60 seconds. Stir and repeat. Stir until melted completely.
- Scoop 1 large dollop of chocolate into 3 of the molds. Drag the dollop on the bottom of the mold and up the sides to coat evenly. Freeze for 15 minutes. You will not use all the chocolate for the cavities.
- Remove mold from the freezer and check to make sure each cavity is coated in chocolate.
- Add 1 tablespoon of hot chocolate mix to each cavity and top with mini marshmallows, filling the mold.
- If necessary, reheat the remaining chocolate. Add it to the microwave and microwave at 50% power for 15-30 seconds and stir until smooth. Divide chocolate into thirds and add a dollop on the top of each cavity. Gently spread with the back of the spoon to seal shut. Freeze for 15 minutes or until chocolate is solid.
- Gently pull the mold away from the chocolate and press on the bottom, turning the mold inside out and removing the bomb.
- Place bombs onto a piece of wax paper. Place white chocolate chips into a resealable sandwich bag and place into the microwave for 30 seconds at 50% power. Remove and knead until smooth. If necessary, return to the microwave in 10 second increments at 50% power until smooth. Snip the tip of the bag and drizzle on the bombs. Let stand to harden.
- Store bombs in a sealable plastic bag before using.
- To serve: Place into a mug and pour nearly boiling milk on top of the chocolate. Stir well until melted and combined.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 459Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 195mgCarbohydrates: 69gFiber: 4gSugar: 53gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Hot Chocolate Recipes
More of a Tea or Coffee Lover? Try these!
Pin for later!
Don’t forget to subscribe for more recipes like this one.
Let me know if you try these hot chocolate bombs!