A Matcha cupcake recipe was on our list during our last big baking day. On our quest to make several Matcha recipes, I think we were most excited about the cupcakes. We used this vanilla cupcake recipe as our inspiration.
Green Tea Matcha Cupcake Recipe
Shelley brought real vanilla beans for a few of our recipes. This was my first time seeing how to remove the seeds from a vanilla bean. I must say, it’s pretty awesome. Not only is it weirdly satisfying to watch the beans get scraped out of their shell, but it fills the room with the most fabulous vanilla scent.
We envisioned a magnificent green colored cupcake that would be perfect for whenever one feels as though a green cupcake is appropriate. Well, one thing we didn’t think about was using eggs from my Gram’s house. You see, my Gram has pet chickens who produce eggs. These are the freshest eggs possible and come from the happiest, healthiest chickens on the planet. They have deep orange yokes instead of the pale yellow you get from the grocery store. This is awesome, yes, but it also altered the color of our cupcakes! For a true green cupcake, you might consider using just egg whites.
We also went a tad overboard by adding Matcha frosting to the cupcakes. I think it was just a little too much Matcha flavor. The Matcha frosting is crazy delicious. We ended up dipping pretzels in the rest of the frosting, but it was a little much on the cupcakes. I think regular cream cheese frosting would be better. The Matcha frosting would be excellent on vanilla cupcakes or maybe even chocolate.
It is imperative that you use fresh baking powder or these cupcakes will not rise nicely. The same goes for the baking soda. When baking, always be sure to have fresh ingredients. It is science!
Matcha Green Tea Cupcakes Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Matcha green tea powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scrape the vanilla bean to get the seeds out and add to a small bowl.
- Add sugar to the vanilla bean seeds and stir. Press the back of a spoon against the beans to break them up a bit.
- In another bowl, mix together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and Matcha powder
- Add the sugar and vanilla bean mixture and combine well.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients in the order they are listed above. Mix on medium speed.
- Line a cupcake tin with foil liners.
- Fill cupcake liners a little over 1/2 full.
- Bake for 14 minutes and test with a toothpick.
- Once the toothpick comes out clean, remove the cupcakes from the tin. Allow to cool completely on a cooling rack or your counter.
Please keep in mind that Matcha green tea powder contains caffeine. Consider this when serving the cupcakes to children or anyone sensitive to caffeine.
Do you like Matcha green tea flavor? Do you think you would like this Matcha cupcake recipe?