If you’d like to make your own M&M cookies from home, use this recipe for a delicious treat. The colorful candies we all know and love are extra scrumptious in a sugar cookie.
Since M&M’s come in such a wide variety of colors, this cookie recipe is perfect any time of year. Simply use the color of candies that fit the holiday or theme that you’re making them for. No special event needed, of course. Add this recipe to your list of cookies to make for a rainy day or any reason at all!
How to Make M&M Cookies
One of the most popular recipes on this site is the no-bake cookie dough that contains mini M&M candies. That recipe is for cookie dough lovers and will not bake well if at all.
Personally, I am more tempted by cookie dough, but baking these beauties has me changing my mind a bit. Biting into a fresh baked sugar cookie with those candy-coated chocolate pieces is something that’s hard to beat.
I can’t wait to try this recipe out with other peanut or mini M&M’s, too. Feel free to get creative!
M&M Sugar Cookies Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. The exact measurements are in the printable recipe card below.
- All-purpose flour
- Fine sea salt
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Ground cinnamon
- Unsalted butter
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Milk chocolate M&M candies
- Peanut butter M&M candies
M&M Cookies Directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
In another mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
Fold in the chocolate and peanut butter candies.
Using a 1.5 tablespoon cookie scoop, place scoops of cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheets leaving about 1 inch between each.
Use your palm or the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookies into circles.
Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they just begin to brown.
Allow them to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before transferring to a rack to cool completely.
M&M Sugar Cookies Recipe Notes and FAQ
How do I store these cookies?
Store these cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four days.
Can I make these cookies ahead of time?
You can follow this recipe as written and place the cookie dough in an airtight container or wrap it in plastic wrap. Keep it in the refrigerator for up to four days before baking. Allow the dough to sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes before baking.
What other variations can I make?
To make these cookies unique, feel free to swap out some of the M&M’s for chopped nuts, chocolate chips, toffee pieces, or anything else you like in cookies. Use red and green to make M&M Christmas cookies, pastel for Easter or spring cookies, red and pink for Valentine’s Day, red white and blue for the 4th of July, and so on. Sprinkle them with flake sea salt if you love the sweet and salty flavor combo.
How do I make the candies more visible?
If you want the M&M’s to stand out on the cookie, mix some into the batter, and then press some into the tops of the cookies before baking.
- 3 cups (427 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup (226 g) unsalted butter, softened
- ½ cup (120 g) light brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup (114 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ heaping cup (136 g) milk chocolate M&M candies
- ¾ cup (147 g) peanut butter M&M candies
- Preheat the oven to 375° Fahrenheit and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sea salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a separate mixing bowl cream together the softened butter, light brown sugar, and granulated sugar. Mix in the eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture and mix just until combined. Fold in the milk chocolate M&M candies and peanut butter M&M candies.
- Place scoops of cookie dough onto the prepared sheets leaving about 1 inch in between each cookie. Use the palm of your hand or the bottom of a glass to flatten the cookies into circles.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until just beginning to brown. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 49Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 66mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 0gSugar: 3gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Recipes with M&M Candies
Save and share on Pinterest!
Be sure to
Please let me know if you make these M&M cookies.