Marshmallow Peeps have been around since 1953, making this their 66th year of bringing joy and soft, puffy, chewiness to Easter baskets and fun recipes all over the nation.
These adorable Peep’s nest Easter cupcakes are easy to make and sure to inspire smiles for anyone lucky enough to receive one.
Adorable Easter Cupcakes
In all honesty, I’ve never been a big fan of eating Peeps.
I actually prefer them slightly stale if I am going to consume the festive, blob of a bird.
Apparently, I’m not alone–according to the company’s research, 25-30% of their customers prefer eating Peeps stale!
When marshmallow is exposed to air, it dehydrates which causes a stale Peep to have a bit of a crunch.
If adding a bit of texture to the colorful chick is also your preference, you may want to leave your Peeps out overnight before preparing these cupcakes.
Regardless of your Peep-freshness-preference, these cupcakes are fun to make and impossible to resist.
Edible Easter grass makes the nests super easy to build and seasonal M&Ms complete the look and add a yummy chocolate crunch to the mix.
Use your favorite chocolate cupcake recipe to make these Easter nests.
Here is the recipe for chocolate cupcakes that we use.
More Recipes Perfect for Easter
- 24 cupcakes, baked and cooled
- 16 oz white frosting
- green food coloring
- 1 pkg edible Easter grass
- 15 marshmallow Peeps
- 1/2 cup M&M Easter Egg candies
- Piping Tip 233
- piping bag
- Tint frosting green with food coloring and place into a pastry bag fitted with tip 233.
- Pipe grass onto each cupcake.
- Note: Store-bought frosting will work fine for this. It's not quite as thick/dense as it should be to pipe beautiful grass, but the grass will look fine. Use short, 90 degree pipe and pull technique to create the most realistic grass.
- Edible Easter grass is usually folded in half in the bag. Take three strands and tear in half--tearing where it's folded.
- Line up all six strands and roll them into a small circle, just a little larger than a quarter. Some of the pieces will break and that's okay.
- Place onto the top of a cupcake.
- To make the Peep cupcake, place a Peep on top of the nest and add 2 M&M candies.
- To make the Bird Nest cupcake, place 3 M&M candies on the nest in the center.
- Repeat until you have all of your cupcakes frosted!
For the green frosting, Wilton leaf green gel was used.
Nutrition facts are based on similar ingredients when exact information isn't available.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 409Total Fat: 20gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 25mgSodium: 305mgCarbohydrates: 59gFiber: 2gSugar: 47gProtein: 3g
- Use different flavored cupcakes or a variety to add more color.
- Sprinkle edible glitter over the grass for a more magical look.
- Make our edible fairy toadstools to add to your display!
- These cupcakes aren’t just for Easter–try adding farm animals or other woodland creatures for year-round fun.
Are Easter cupcakes part of your holiday tradition?