I have come to learn that there are two types of people in this world – ones with grocery shopping etiquette, and those that just say F the system. It’s important to know that you are not alone in the grocery store. If I was a betting woman, I would guess that about 87% of us do not want to be there. Typical rules of the road should apply.
Here are some examples of how not to have grocery shopping etiquette:
- Parking diagonally in the aisle while you thoroughly examine the nutrition facts.
- Walking side by side with your spouse creating a human shield blocking the aisle. Allow me to suggest divide and conquer – gets the job done quicker.
- Failing to acknowledge that anyone is behind you…ever. Some of us just want to squeeze on by. Please let that happen.
- Corralling around a sample counter like it’s a buffet table. Hey, I love the heck out of some samples, but grab ‘n go. There’s no reason to block the entire aisle and hang out there.
- If your child must push the tiny child cart, take the opportunity to teach them shopping cart etiquette. Don’t just let them plow through the store taking out kneecaps.
- Having to search every corner of your purse for your coupons/credit card/checkbook, etc. Have all your stuff ready upon reaching the checkout. I am a coupon-user and encourage people to do so, but have them in your hand and ready to go.
- Stopping in the middle of the exit door to check your receipt or find your keys. This is exactly how to get rear-ended by a cart. Some of us are hauling ass to get the heck out of the store. If you think you were double charged for mangoes, pull the F over to allow others to escape freely.
- Not putting your cart away after use. Allowing your cart to roam about the parking lot hitting cars and causing mayhem makes you suck. If it’s an extra windy day, I seriously question your humanity. Here’s a tip – just park closer to the cart corral to make this an easy task. Better yet, realize that a twenty foot walk to the cart corral won’t give you a heart attack.
Let’s face it, I am not getting any awards for being the most patient person, but you have to agree with me on a few things here. Be courteous in the grocery store and you will be a better human for it.
How do you feel about grocery shopping etiquette?
Thursday 18th of May 2017
Thank you so much for this! I live in a different state now and no one here, I swear, has any manners what so ever! They do everything you say not to do and more. Your post gave me a laugh, but it's also a sad truth. :(
Saturday 7th of March 2015
Thank you for voicing this !! Love it !! Can I add not saying excuse me as you rudely reach over me to grab an item, and practically knocking my head off..lol...I sometimes think I must be invisible......
Monday 15th of September 2014
All it takes is some thought and politeness.
Friday 5th of September 2014
Yes, indeed. Those are very good things for people NOT to do.
Wednesday 3rd of September 2014
lol your post made me chuckle since I went grocery shopping today and saw lots of that going on... I think I've been run over by many a person texting or whatever when pushing their carts- crazy I tell ya, there should be a law against it!