The Walking Dead returns on February 14th. Not going to lie, I am more excited about The Walking Dead than Valentine’s Day. In fact, that’s most likely what our Valentine’s Day will consist of – catching up on The Walking Dead. We still have some episodes on our DVR that need to be watched before the new season begins. It will be the perfect little mini-binge night.
We have been posting a lot of Valentine’s Day recipes, but here’s something sweet inspired by The Walking Dead.
The Walking Dead Inspired Cupcake Recipe
- 2 1/2 C flour
- 1/2 C unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 C softened butter
- 2 C sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 C sour cream
- 1/2 C half and half
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cupcake tin with paper liners.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, salt, and baking soda.
- Cream the soft butter and sugar together until fluffy and creamy.
- Mix in one egg at a time until all four have been mixed into the batter.
- Blend in the sour cream with the butter, sugar, and eggs.
- Add the vanilla extract.
- Add the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt at one cup at a time to the combination of the butter, sugar, eggs, and sour cream. Gently mix the batter.
- Add the half and half.
- Mix all ingredients until well blended.
- Scoop the cupcake batter into the lined cupcake tins.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15-18 minutes or until a inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- 1/2 stick butter, softened
- 1 1/2 C powdered sugar
- 2 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- 2 TBSP vanilla
- Cream butter with powdered sugar.
- If not creaming add in heavy whipping cream.
- If too soft ADD more powdered sugar.
- Test to see if frosting can make and hold a stiff peak.
- Add frosting to a pastry bag.
- Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting out through the tip.
- Test this out to make sure that the combination of the colors is just right.
- Frost the cupcakes.
Royal Icing Recipe:
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 + C powdered sugar
- Golden Yellow gel coloring
- Combine all ingredients mixing on medium speed for 4 minutes.
- If not white enough, ADD more powdered sugar.
- Scoop icing into a bowl and add the color.
- Using a small pastry bag with a #2 tip add the icing to the bag.
- Test to make sure that the correct color comes out of the tip.
Dripping Blood Recipe:
- 1/2 C of corn syrup
- 4-5 drops of red food coloring
- Pour the corn syrup in a small bowl.
- Add the red food coloring.
- Stir together the corn syrup and food coloring.
- Test color to be sure that it is the right color.
- Using a small spoon, get a spoonful of the mixture.
- Drip the mixture on the cupcake.
- Search Google for the image of the badge, Cartoon badge.
- Locate the image that you want.
- Copy/paste the image to word.
- Save to your folder.
- Once printed, tape that page to a cookie sheet.
- Cut/tear a sheet of wax paper or parchment paper.
- Tape that sheet of wax paper to the sheet that has the image printed on it.
- Make sure that you have covered that entire paper.
- Using royal icing, trace the outline of the badge in the star shape.
- Thin out the left over icing in the bowl and fill in the star.
- Using the thick icing, make the dots on the tips of the stars.
- Allow to dry for 5-10 hours.
- Make sure that the badge is dry by gently pushing in on one of them.
- If they still allow you to push in, they are not dry.
- Cut the wax paper surrounding the badge in squares.
- Gently peel off the back of the image.
- Place on to the cupcake gently and then do a blood effect with the blood simple syrup
If you prefer chocolate frosting, check out this version!
Are you a fan of The Walking Dead?