My mother-in-law makes the best potato salad recipe. As promised, I am sharing it with you with her permission. I think she calls it “American Potato Salad”, but Mike said the only acceptable name was the “Best Potato Salad”. In any case, it's a sure crowd pleaser. This post contains affiliate links, but all opinions are my own.
The recipe she gave me is enough to feed a large gathering. This was my first time making it on my own, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I don't want to alter her ingredients or instructions in any way, but keep in mind if you make it – it's large. It filled my large Pampered Chef collapsible bowl to the top.
Best Potato Salad Recipe with Eggs
- 3lbs red skin potatoes
- 2 eggs per potato, plus 1 extra
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 ribs celery
- 1/2 English cucumber (seedless)
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 can black olives
- Salt & pepper
- Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning Salt
- Parsley flakes (generous amount)
- 1 1/2 – 2 cups Hellman's mayo
- Boil potatoes until they are tender to poke with a fork. Peel, and cut into bite sizes. Place into a bowl and salt and pepper them.
- Hard boil eggs, remove shells and cut into medium pieces. Add to potatoes and salt and pepper them.
- Finely chop the onion and roughly chop the celery and cucumber. Drain olives from can and cut them in half. Add all of this plus the sweet pickle relish in a separate bowl. Season generously with paprika, Mrs. Dash, and parsley flakes.
- Add relish mixture to the potatoes and eggs. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Add enough mayo to reach a creamy texture.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle paprika and parsley over top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Tastes best the same day as you prepare.
My 3lb bag of potatoes contained 17 potatoes. That meant I needed 35 eggs! Definitely feel free to adjust this recipe down unless you are feeding a large bunch. Although, this best potato salad recipe is so good you are going to want it more than one day!