My mother-in-law makes the best potato salad recipe. As promised, I am sharing it with you with her permission.
I think she calls it “American Potato Salad”, but Mike said the only acceptable name was the “Best Potato Salad.” In any case, it’s a sure crowd pleaser.
The recipe she gave me is enough to feed a large gathering. This was my first time making it on my own, so I wasn’t sure what to expect.
I don’t want to alter her ingredients or instructions in any way, but keep in mind if you make it – it’s large. It filled my large Pampered Chef collapsible bowl to the top.
The Best Potato Salad with Eggs Recipe
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Red skin potatoes
- English cucumber
- Sweet pickle relish
- Black olives
- Mrs. Dash garlic and herb seasoning salt
- Parsley flakes
Count the number of potatoes in your bags so you know how many eggs you will need. I needed 35 eggs.
Boil, peel, and cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
Place the potatoes into a bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Hard boil the eggs, remove the shells, and cut them into medium pieces. Add them to the bowl and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
Finely chop the onion and roughly chop the celery and cucumber. Drain the can of olives and slice them in half. Add all of this plus the sweet pickle relish to a separate bowl. Season generously with the paprika, garlic and herb salt, and parsley flakes. Mix well.
Add the relish mixture to the bowl with the potatoes and eggs. Mix together, and then add enough mayo to reach a creamy texture.
Transfer to a serving bowl and top with paprika and parsely.
Refrigerate until you are ready to serve. It tastes the best the same day as you prepare it.
- 3 lbs red skin potatoes
- 2 eggs per potato, plus 1 extra
- 1 medium onion
- 3-4 ribs celery
- 1/2 English cucumber (seedless)
- 1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
- 1 can black olives
- Salt & pepper
- Mrs. Dash Garlic & Herb Seasoning Salt
- Parsley flakes (generous amount)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups Hellman's mayo
- Count the potatoes in your bags so you know how many eggs you need.
- Boil potatoes until they are tender to poke with a fork. Peel, and cut into bite sizes. Place into a bowl and salt and pepper them.
- Hard boil eggs, remove shells and cut into medium pieces. Add to potatoes and salt and pepper them.
- Finely chop the onion and roughly chop the celery and cucumber. Drain olives from can and cut them in half. Add all of this plus the sweet pickle relish in a separate bowl. Season generously with paprika, Mrs. Dash, and parsley flakes.
- Add relish mixture to the potatoes and eggs. Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Add enough mayo to reach a creamy texture.
- Transfer to a serving bowl. Sprinkle paprika and parsley over top.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Tastes best the same day as you prepare.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 392Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 398mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes
My 3lb bag of potatoes contained 17 potatoes. That meant I needed 35 eggs! Definitely feel free to adjust this recipe down unless you are feeding a large bunch.
Although, this best potato salad recipe is so good you are going to want it more than one day!