Grinch cookies are a super fun cookie to add to your holiday baking list. Not only do they look pretty, but they are the delicious flavor of mint chocolate chip.
See how to make Grinch cookies using candy melts for a cute and festive holiday treat. Get the kids involved, include them in a Christmas cookie swap, or add them to your Christmas party dessert table.
Mint Chip Grinch-Inspired Christmas Cookies
Ah, the Grinch. Possibly the most misunderstood holiday character that makes a lot more sense as you get older. I mean, haven’t we all contemplated moving to a mountain alone with our dog as some point during adulthood? LOL
Well, soften the hearts of any Grinches in your life with these adorable and delicious mint chocolate chip cookies. I like to balance out my fancy Christmas cookies with some fun ones like these Grinch cookies.
Grinch Cookies Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this Grinch mint chip cookie recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Cream of tartar
- Chocolate chips
- Green gel food coloring
- Peppermint extract
- Red candy melts
- White candy melts
Mint Chocolate Chip Grinch Cookies Directions
Get ready by preheating your oven to 375 degrees F and lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Cream together the butter and sugar with a hand or
Add in the eggs and egg yolk and mix until it’s all well blended.
Stir in the vanilla and mix until the batter is fluffy.
Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt into a separate bowl. Whisk together well.
Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture. Mix on low speed until combined.
Blend in the green food coloring and mix until the color is well distributed and even.
Use a small ice cream scoop to drop the cookie dough onto the prepared baking sheet.
Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes.
While the cookies bake and cool, melt your candy melts. Use a double boiler or melt in the microwave as per package directions.
Once the cookies have cooled completely, dip one end of each cookie into the melted red candy melt, covering about half of the cookie.
Allow the red candy melt to harden on the cookie.
Melt the white candy melts to create the heart.
Use a small piping bag to outline and fill in a white heart to the red candy-coated cookie.
Allow the cookies to cool completely before serving or storing.
Grinch Cookies Recipe Notes and FAQ
The candy melt is too thick.
If dipping the cookie into the red candy melt creates too thick of a layer, you can also paint or brush it on using the back of a spoon or a pastry brush.
For a mintier cookie.
If you want Andes mint Grinch cookies, feel free to include Andes mint baking chips or swap out the chocolate chips with them.
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 C chocolate chips
- 3 1/4 C flour
- green gel food coloring
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 1 package Wilton Red Candy Melts
- 1 package Wilton White Candy Melts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until it is no longer grainy.
- Mix in the eggs and egg yolk beating until well blended.
- Stir in the vanilla and mix until fluffy.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, cream of tartar, and salt in another bowl. Mix together well.
- Gradually add the dry mixtures to wet mixture. Mix on low until combined.
- Blend the green food coloring mixing until the color is consistent.
- Pour in the chips and stir until well distributed.
- Using a small ice cream scoop drop cookie dough onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 12–14 minutes.
- While the cookies are baking use a double boiler to melt the red candy melts.
- Allow the cookies to cool.
- Dip one end of the cookie into the melted red candy melt covering half of the cookie.
- Allow to totally cool and candy to harden.
- With the double boiler melt the white candy melts.
- Outline and fill in a white heart to the red candy covered cookie.
- Allow to cool completely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 242Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 44mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Fun Christmas Cookies
- Holiday sugar cookie pie
- Mini cherry pie sugar cookies
- Star stained-glass cookies
- Marble iced sugar cookies
- Pistachio pudding kiss cookies
Pin this image to your holiday cookie board to save and share!
Subscribe to the blog if you like cute desserts like this one!
No need to be anti-Christmas to love these cookies. Even the Grinch himself would gobble them up!
Who do you know that would love some Grinch cookies this season?