If you like rich and fudgy brownies, be sure to save this recipe. These mocha dark chocolate brownies have a hint of coffee flavor for an extra indulgent and tasty brownie.
Save this fudgy brownie recipe for your holiday dessert needs, or any time you need a dessert. Chocolate fudge brownies are an excellent dessert option all year.
Fudgy Mocha Brownies
Okay, my spell checker keeps putting the red dots under the word FUDGY, but how can that not be a word when it’s the best way to describe the perfect brownie?
Anyway, if I am going to eat a brownie, I want it to be a fudgy one. To me, the texture of a brownie is right up there with the flavor. I love super fudgy brownies, and I am definitely going for an end piece!
A rich mocha frosting propels these indulgent treats into another dessert realm where I would like to live permanently.
Dark Chocolate Brownies Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this rich dessert recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Unsalted butter
- Dark chocolate chips: 60% cacao chips were used in this recipe, but semi-sweet chocolate chips would also work well.
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Strong coffee: Whenever strong coffee is needed, I use (affiliate link) Death Wish coffee.
- All-purpose flour: Gluten-free all-purpose flour also works successfully in this recipe.
- Sea salt
Frosting for Mocha Brownies Ingredients
For the mocha frosting, you will need the following. Again, all the measurements are in the printable recipe card toward the bottom of this post.
- Dark chocolate chips
- Strong coffee
- Powdered sugar
- Sea salt
Chocolate Fudge Brownies Directions
Step One: Prepare
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F and line an 8″ pan with parchment paper. Brew some strong coffee to use in the recipe.
Step Two: Make the Mocha Dark Chocolate Brownie Batter
Place the butter and chocolate chips into a small saucepan and heat on medium heat until melted, stirring frequently.
Add the brown sugar and the granulated sugar to the melted chocolate and whisk to combine.
Add in each egg one at a time, whisking to incorporate after you add each egg.
Add in the coffee, flour, and salt and whisk to combine.
Pour the batter into your prepared baking pan and bake in the preheated oven for 25-27 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Let the brownies cool to room temperature.
Step Three: Make the Mocha Frosting
Add dark chocolate chips and butter to a small saucepan and melt on medium heat. Stir the mixture frequently until it’s melted.
Pour the melted chocolate into a medium mixing bowl.
Add the coffee, 1 tablespoon of milk, powdered sugar, and a pinch of sea salt. Use a hand mixer to mix until incorporated. Pour in an additional 1-2 tablespoons of milk to reach your desired frosting consistency.
Gently lift the fully cooled brownies out of the pan by the parchment paper and place them onto a flat surface.
Spread an even layer of frosting over the brownies. Slice and serve!
Mocha Fudgy Brownies Notes and FAQ
Do these mocha brownies have a strong coffee flavor?
No, these brownies have a hint of coffee flavor; it’s not overpowering.
Do I have to frost these brownies?
These fudgy brownies are delicious without the frosting. Obviously, the mocha frosting adds delicious flavor and texture to the dessert, but it is optional.
Best coffee for recipes that call for strong coffee.
Ever have days where it feels like your coffee could use some coffee? Try Death Wish Coffee -- The World's Strongest Coffee.
- Bold, not bitter
- Highest-quality arabica + robusta beans
- Fair Trade
- USDA Certified Organic
- Many Options & Varieties
- Fun, Edgy, & Rebellious Packaging!
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Line an 8-inch square pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate chips together, stirring occasionally.
- Once the chocolate and butter are fully melted, add in the brown sugar and granulated sugar. Whisk the ingredients until they are fully combined.
- Crack the eggs into the chocolate mixture, one at a time, whisking after each addition until they are fully incorporated.
- Pour in the coffee, flour, and salt. Whisk until the batter is smooth and well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with a spatula. Bake for 25-27 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the brownies cool to room temperature.
- To make the frosting, repeat the process from step 2 to melt the chocolate and butter together in a small saucepan.
- Transfer the melted chocolate mixture to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add in the coffee, 1 tablespoon of milk, powdered sugar, and a pinch of sea salt. Beat the ingredients together with a hand mixer until they are fully combined. If the frosting is too thick, add in an additional 1-2 tablespoons of milk until you reach your desired consistency.
- Once the brownies are completely cooled, lift them out of the pan by the parchment paper and place them on a flat surface. Spread the frosting over the top of the brownies in an even layer.
- Slice the brownies and enjoy!
- These brownies have a dense, gooey texture that will satisfy even the most intense chocolate cravings.
- The coffee flavor in these brownies is subtle and adds an extra depth of flavor without being overpowering.
- If you follow a gluten-free diet, you can easily use gluten-free all-purpose flour in this recipe to make it suitable for your needs.
- For an extra rich chocolate flavor, we used 60% cacao chips in this recipe. However, you can also use semi-sweet chocolate chips if that's what you have on hand.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 378Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 113mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 1gSugar: 42gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
- Brownie mix cookies
- Marshmallow brownies
- Pistachio avocado brownies
- Chocolate brownie trifle
- Black bean brownies
Pin this image to your brownie board to save and share!
Love desserts and sweet treats? Subscribe to the blog, so you don’t miss a recipe.
Please come back and let me know how you liked these fudgy brownies after you try them!