Here are some spooky Halloween cupcakes to impress your ghoulish posse. The chocolate cupcakes are also ideal for fans of The Walking Dead. October is just the best month, isn’t it?
Chocolate Cupcakes with Bloody Knives for Halloween
These delicious chocolate cupcakes have a creepy topping that’s perfect for Halloween parties or any event during spooky season.
Invite your friends over for a Walking Dead watch party, or host a movie night for the latest scary movie. If you need a dessert that tasty but gory, consider these cupcakes!
Bloody Knife Cupcake Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Baking powder
- Brown sugar
- Canola oil
- Vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar
- Heavy whipping cream
Bloody Knife Topping
- Red gel blood
- Candy Knife
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cupcake tin with liners.
Whisk the cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl until well combined.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla until completely smooth.
Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and add half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk the ingredients together.
Add the rest of the wet ingredients and the buttermilk. Stir to combine.
The batter will be a little thin.
Scoop the batter into cupcake liners until about 3/4 full.
Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Allow the cupcakes to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes. Transfer them to a rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Frosting Directions
Cream together the butter and powdered sugar until it looks light and creamy. If it’s not creaming together, add drops of heavy whipping cream until it does.
Test the frosting to see if it can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon, it is ready. If it doesn’t, add more powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix well.
Once the frosting is ready, scoop it into a pastry bag and push the frosting to the tip.
Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes starting on the outside edge and working toward the center.
Bloody Knife Topping Directions
Take the tube of red gel and drip it down the sides of the frosted cupcake.
Stick the candy knife into the center of the frosting.
Bloody Knife Cupcakes
Chocolate cupcakes with creepy bloody knives for Halloween.
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 3/4 C flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temp
- 1/2 C sugar
- 1/2 C packed brown sugar
- 1/3 C canola oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 C buttermilk, room temp
- 1 C unsalted butter, room temp
- 4 + C powder sugar
- 4 TBSP heavy whipping cream
- Red gel blood
- Candy Knife
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
- Put cocoa powder, flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a bowl whisking until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In another bowl, add the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla whisking until completely smooth.
- Add half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Now add half of the buttermilk.
- Gently whisk together all of the above ingredients.
- Now add the rest of the wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stirring to combine. The batter will be a little thin.
- Scoop batter into cupcake paper liners until 3/4 full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes while in the cupcake pan. Remove from the cupcake pan placing on a wire rack until completely cool.
- For the frosting, cream the butter and powder sugar until it looks light and creamy.
- If it's not creaming together well, add several drops of heaving whipping cream until it does.
- Test to see if the frosting can form and hold a stiff peak by taking a spoonful of frosting and turning the spoon upside down. If the frosting stays on the spoon it is ready. If not, then add more powder sugar 1/2 C at a time, mix well, and test again.
- If ready, scoop the frosting into a pastry bag with a round tip. Twist the open end of the pastry bag to push the frosting to the tip.
- Start by frosting on the outside edge of the cupcake working to the center of the cupcake.
- For the knife topping, drip some red gel onto the sides of the frosting.
- Stick the candy knife in the center of the frosted cupcake.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 88mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 0gSugar: 42gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More Creepy Halloween Treats
Pin to your Halloween board to save and share!
Visit this roundup of over 20 Halloween cakes and cupcakes for more ideas!
Are you attending any parties where these Halloween cupcakes would be a hit?
Tuesday 3rd of November 2015
This is such a cute recipe, I'm sorry I missed it for Halloween.
Saturday 24th of October 2015
Thanks for the reminder, I am supposed to go to a Halloween Party tonight and have no idea what wear or bring. Thanks for sharing on the #HomeMattersParty this week. I hope you join us next week.
Wednesday 21st of October 2015
I like these because they're pretty easy to do and look so gruesome.
Monday 19th of October 2015
How creative!!!! Love it..Thank you for linking up at Merry Monday Linky Party :) Pinned too!
Monday 19th of October 2015
Super scary recipe! Love those little knives! Frosting sounds awesome! Thanks for linking up to Merry Monday! Sharing on my Halloween Treat Board & yummed! Have a great week! Kim