Admittedly, we are a bit biased on the topic of themed parties. Our vote will always lean towards a unicorn party. However, this recipe is easily tweaked for any theme.
In fact, you can divide the dough in half and create double the magic! Perhaps, half unicorn cookie cups and half mermaid cookie cups?
Magical Cookie Cups Recipe
If they are not available at your local grocer, we also found a couple of fun alternatives.
If you don’t have a tart shaper on hand, anything with a rounded handle can help make the divots in the dough.
You might find that a ping-pong ball or small superball will do the trick.
More Unicorn Party Creations to Make Next:
Unicorn Party Cookie Cups
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray mini muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add cookie mix, butter and egg and mix until dough forms. This mixture is stiff and after some time it is easier to just use your hands.
- Once mixed together, knead in 1/4 cup sprinkles.
- Use a 1 tablespoon portion scoop to scoop dough and roll into balls. Place into prepared pan.
- Use a pastry/tart shaper to press down on the dough to make a divot.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown. Remove from oven. Let set to cool in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack completely.
- Color frosting pink with color gels. Place frosting into the pastry bag fitted with small tip.
- Pipe into the center of the cookies. Top with remaining sprinkles.
- Store at room temperature, loosely covered.
If you’re feeling extra creative or in the mood to experiment, applying little unicorn faces to the frosting is an adorable idea.
Adding a gummy candy corn for the horn and gel or candy eyes is a quick way to give these cookie cups a lot of personality.
Check out our melting unicorn hot chocolate recipe for ideas and tips for drawing the faces.
Have fun with the frosting filling! Add some fine edible glitter to the mix, swirl in different colors, or make several separate colors and create a rainbow inside each cup.
If gluten intolerance is a concern, swap the regular sugar cookie mix for a gluten-free version, and be sure to check that the rest of the ingredients don’t contain any surprise sources of gluten.
Share this cookie cups recipe with someone in need of magical treats!