Doesn't a bacon, egg, and cheese calzone recipe sound delicious? The weather cooling down even a smidge has me craving a hearty and warm breakfast in place of summer smoothies. Kari from Craft Create Cook delivered just that with her tasty breakfast calzone.
Breakfast on Busy Mornings
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. It also seems to be the most rushed meal of the day. With back-to-school chaos, busy morning schedules, and struggling to get enough sleep at night, spending a ton of time on breakfast is usually not in the cards.
The beauty of this cheese calzone recipe is that you can get it ready at night. Have the family add their choice of ingredients to each calzone. Put the whole baking sheet of prepared breakfast calzones in the refrigerator, so they are oven-ready for the morning. Of course, fresh is better, but prepping ahead is super convenient.
Ideally, the family can sit down around the table for breakfast. Realistically, that's not what a typical morning looks like for most households. From too many snooze button hits to early morning appointments, it's rare everyone is able to share breakfast together. Once cooled, this bacon, egg, and cheese calzone recipe is a handheld food like our easy pizza roll-ups.
Breakfast Bacon and Cheese Calzone Recipe
- 1 tube prepared pizza dough (13.8 oz)
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 6 slices of bacon, chopped
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the egg white of one egg into a small bowl and set aside. Place the yolk, with the remaining 5 eggs into a mixing bowl. Add milk, salt, and pepper and beat well. Heat in a nonstick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly until eggs are cooked. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Unroll the pizza dough and spread it out with your fingers. Place a 4″ round cookie cutter onto the dough and make sure you can cut 8 circles out of the dough. If not, spread the dough out a big more, so 8 circles will fit. Cut out dough and fill each half with eggs, bacon, and cheese, dividing evenly among the 8 rounds.
- Fold the dough over to create a half moon and secure the edges with a fork. Place onto a baking sheet. Whisk the egg white and use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the dough. Poke holes into the center.
- Bake for 16-18 minutes or until bottoms begin to brown. Let set for a minute or two, because the filling inside will be hot, before serving.
Play around with ingredients for your breakfast calzones. Replace the bacon with sausage, add some veggies, or make them picky-eater-style with egg and cheese only.
Do you think your family would like this bacon, egg, and cheese calzone recipe?
Rainbow Crumbs for You
Weekly newsletter with our latest posts and shenanigans.