A good chocolate cookie cake in a skillet reminds me of a dessert you’d get at a restaurant. You know, the cookie that comes out piping hot topped with ice cream? Ooh yeah, this recipe gives you pretty much that at home.
With a rich, chocolatey flavor and gooey texture, this dessert is the ultimate indulgence. Made with simple ingredients like butter, sugar, eggs, and cocoa powder, this recipe is pretty easy to whip up when the craving strikes.
Skillet Cookie Cake
Who says your skillet is just for making skillet dinners? Making a cookie cake in a skillet is a real treat!
First of all, serving dessert in a skillet just looks impressive, don’t you think? Secondly, the heat distribution in a skillet promotes a more even baking process, giving you a perfectly baked, soft and chewy cookie cake.
The skillet’s larger size results in a bigger cake, so this is an excellent dessert option for dinner parties.
Cookie Cake in a Skillet Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this tasty cookie cake recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- White sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour
- Cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Semisweet chocolate chips
- Cream cheese
- Cool Whip
- Instant vanilla pudding
Skillet Cookie Direcitions
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the softened butter, white sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Then, gradually add this dry mixture to the butter mixture, stirring until well-blended.
Mix in the semisweet chocolate chips until they’re evenly distributed in the batter.
Spread the batter evenly into the bottom of your cast iron skillet.
Bake the cookie cake in the preheated oven for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Remove it from the oven and allow it to cool.
In a mixer, combine the cream cheese, Cool Whip, instant vanilla pudding, and sugar. Blend them together until well combined.
Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the cooled cookie cake.
If desired, drizzle on some chocolate syrup.
Serve and enjoy the warm, gooey, chocolatey goodness of your delicious Chocolate Cookie Cake in a Skillet!
Recipe Substitutions and Variations
Feel free to get creative with cookie cake variations! Here are a few you can try once you get the hang of making skillet cookies.
- Peanut butter chocolate chip version: Swirl some creamy peanut butter into the batter and add some peanut butter chips in place of some or all of the chocolate chips for a delicious peanut butter chocolate chip cookie cake.
- Mint chocolate chip version: Add some peppermint extract to the batter and use mint chocolate chips in place of the semisweet chocolate chips to make a mint chocolate chip dreamy dessert.
- Skillet s’mores version: Layer the batter with graham crackers and mini marshmallows, and then top with chocolate chips to create a s’mores skillet dessert.
- Caramel pecan version: Drizzle caramel sauce and sprinkle chopped pecans on top of the cake for a decadent caramel pecan treat.
What you Need to make this Skillet Cake
- Large mixing bowl
- Separate bowl for dry ingredients
- Whisk or spoon for mixing dry ingredients
- Hand mixer or
stand mixerfor mixing the batter and topping
- Spatula for folding in the chocolate chips
- 10-inch cast iron skillet
How to Store Leftovers
If you happen to have any leftover chocolate cookie cake in a skillet, you can easily store it in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in plastic wrap without the topping. If you’re planning on keeping it for a few days, it’s best to store it in the refrigerator.
Keep any leftover cream cheese topping in the refrigerator.
Recipe Notes and FAQ
Can I use a different type of chocolate chips in this recipe?
Yes, you can use any type of chocolate chips that you prefer, such as milk chocolate or dark chocolate chips. Experiment with flavor combos and get creative!
Can I make this recipe ahead of time?
Yes, you can make the cookie cake ahead of time and store it without the topping in an airtight container. The cream cheese topping can be made up to 24 hours in advance and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve.
Chocolate Cookie Skillet Cake
Get ready for warm, gooey, chocolatey goodness with this easy-to-make Chocolate Cookie Cake in a Skillet. Made with simple ingredients and loaded with chocolate chips, it's perfect for any special occasion. Top it off with a creamy and delicious cream cheese topping for an extra scrumptious treat.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz Cool Whip
- 1 package of instant vanilla pudding
- 1 cup of sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar, eggs, and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; stir into the butter mixture until well blended.
- Mix in the chocolate chips. Spread in the bottom of your cast iron skillet.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- In a mixer combine cream cheese, Cool Whip, pudding and sugar. Blend until well combined.
- Spread on top of your cookie. Garnish with chocolate syrup if desired.
- Serve and enjoy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 683Total Fat: 37gSaturated Fat: 23gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 337mgCarbohydrates: 86gFiber: 3gSugar: 64gProtein: 7g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
- Ginger chicken skillet dinner
- Asparagus and ham pasta skillet meal
- Kale pasta skillet dinner
- Marry me chicken
Pin this image to your dessert board to save and share!
If you try this cookie cake in a skillet, be sure to let me know how it turns out for you!
If you enjoy dessert recipes like this one, please subscribe to the blog. If you know another cookie lover, please share this recipe with them.
Saturday 24th of June 2017
I want to make this recipe! The Chocolate Cookie Cake Recipe made in a skillet looks so delicious and amazing! I am making it this weekend!
Saturday 17th of December 2016
This is the second skillet cookie recipe I've come across today. It must mean I should make one! This recipe looks delicious and easy. :D
Thursday 17th of December 2015
That Chocolate skillet will be made by me real soon.It is new and different. I love chocolate and this is the one.
Friday 11th of December 2015
That cookie cake looks delicious and is easy to make.
Friday 27th of November 2015
This looks wonderful. Thank you for this recipe. I will be making this one.