We have three dogs and feeding time can be a bit hectic. Everyone is concerned with what is in the other dog's bowl. Since they stagger in ages, there was a period of time where all three were on different formulas. Over time, we have learned a few tips to make feeding time a bit less dramatic. If you are a regular reader, you probably know that we have three dogs. Hilo is a big, white, German Shepherd. The Grump is a Boston Terrier/Pug mix, and Franklin is a Boston Terrier/Beagle mix. The two little guys are now on the same food formula. Hilo is older and larger, so he eats something different. Hilo is totally fine sticking to his own bowl. He just wants to eat his meal in peace. The two little guys will not allow that. They are both all up in Hilo's food only because it smells different than theirs. Franklin even requires a special bowl to slow him down because he eats like such a spaz.
5 Feeding Time Tips for Homes with Multiple Dogs
- Assign corners – Feed your dogs in different corners. Try to face them away from each other so they can focus on their own bowls.
- Keep watch – Stay in the room while the dogs are eating to moderate the situation. I assume most dogs are like mine in that they eat pretty darn fast. Stand there for the few minutes it takes them to eat to make sure everyone behaves.
- Get a spray bottle – For a short time, our two smaller guys would get into fights over food, which would scare the heck out of me. I would be so afraid that one of them would hurt each other. You should never stick your hand in between fighting dogs, so grab a spray bottle with water. It's usually enough to simply and safely diffuse the situation.
- Positive reinforcement – As with most training methods, “good boys” and lots of praise and loving goes a long way.
- Add New Alpo Meal Helpers – This is an awesome new way to not only seriously treat our dogs, but it helps to make all the food smell similar enough for them to leave each other alone. They are so focused on diving into their own delicious food, that they have tunnel vision. New Alpo Meal Helpers are available at Dollar General.
More About New Alpo Meal Helpers
Alpo Meal Helpers is an easy way to add flavor and excitement to your dog's dry food. It comes in convenient packages for less mess and easy use. You just mix the package in with your dogs food. They are thrilled, and you don't have to mess around with wet food. Each serving comes in a 4oz box, and there are 4 to a box.
Chance to Win
Help Purina spread the word about their new Dollar General Alpo Products. Share a photo of your dog eating it using the hashtag #AlpoMealHelpers. The photo with the most shares will win an Alpo prize pack containing a coupon for a free Alpo Meal Helper, Alpo biscuits, and a $100 Dollar General gift card.
Do you have any dog feeding time tips?