Today we are diving back under the sea with this shimmery mermaid bark candy! This easy mermaid candy recipe is perfect for upcoming mermaid themed birthday parties, a summer beach bash, or just a fun movie night treat.
With a turquoise base, white and lavender chocolate accents, and a large amount of mermaid sprinkles, this sweet treat is sure to get those fins flipping. Little mermaid lovers will especially love the touch of edible gold glitter spray for that extra sparkly shimmer.
Magical Mermaid Bark Candy
Combining my two loves of the ocean and bark candy, this mermaid bark was born. It’s a much-needed addition to our collection of mermaid desserts. I say it all the time, but bark candy is such a great way to unleash your creativity in the kitchen. No matter how wild you get, it’s pretty safe to say that the candy will still taste great!
We just went to see Avatar: The Way of Water, so I’m extra excited about this recipe. Before the movie started, they showed the trailer for the upcoming remake of The Little Mermaid. I got instant chills! I’ve loved that story since I was watching Hans Christian Andersen’s version on a VHS tape. I can’t wait to see it, plus, obviously Avatar had insanely beautiful ocean scenes too. This mermaid candy is the perfect snack for both movies.
Reasons to Love Mermaid Bark Candy
- Easy to make: This recipe only requires melting some candy melts and swirling in some sprinkles. It’s simple, straightforward, and perfect for beginners or busy people.
- Customizable: You can use whatever colors of candy melts you want. Want a dark and stormy ocean instead of light blue? Get crazy, you are the captain of this ship.
- It’s pretty: It’s hard to believe something so easy could also be a showstopper, but it’s true. With little effort, you can impress kids and adults with this pretty addition to a dessert table.
- It’s tasty: At the end of the day, the most important thing is that this recipe tastes great. The combination of sweet and creamy candy melts with playful and crunchy mermaid sprinkles results in a delicious candy.
Mermaid Bark Candy Ingredients
Here’s what you need to make this easy candy recipe. The measurements are in the recipe card below.
- Turquoise candy melts
- White candy melts
- Lavender candy melts
- Mermaid sprinkles
- Mermaid tail candies
- Edible gold glitter spray
Mermaid Candy Bark Directions
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside.
Place the turquoise candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl, and place the white and lavender candy melts in separate resealable plastic bags.
Microwave the turquoise candy melts and the bags of candy melts at 50% power for 1 minute. Knead the bags of candy melts and stir the bowl of candy.
Return to the microwave in one-minute increments at 50% power, stirring and kneading after each time in the microwave until the candy melts are smooth.
Spread the melted turquoise candy melts onto the prepared parchment paper and spread it out to about 1/4″ thickness.
Carefully cut a small hole in the tip of the bags of candy melts, and swirl and spiral the colors from the center outward.
Use a knife to drag through the candy to create a wave-like effect.
Sprinkle with sprinkles and mermaid tails.
Let the candy harden at room temperature, or refrigerate it for 15 minutes until it’s hard.
Once the candy is hard, use a sharp knife to score it and break it into pieces.
Spray the candy with glitter spray.
Serve the candy immediately, or store it covered at room temperature.
How to Serve or Display
Dessert table: This candy makes a beautiful addition to any dessert table. Whether you’re throwing a mermaid party or a BBQ pool party, the pop of sparkly color is sure to impress guests.
Goodie bags: Add pieces of ocean bark candy to goodie bags at your next mermaid birthday party.
Ice cream bar: If you set up an ice cream or sundae bar, tiny pieces of mermaid bark make an extra fun topping option.
Candy boards: If you’re creating a trendy dessert board, sprinkles of mermaid candy bark look great! See an adorable mermaid candy board at Cutefetti!
Give as a gift: Need gift ideas for mermaid lovers? We have many, but add a little bag of homemade magical mermaid morsels to sweeten the presentation.
Mermaid Bark Recipe Substitutions and Variations
Candy melts: You can use any color of candy melts you wish. Try using different shades of blue, green, and purple to create the oceanic vibe you’re after.
Sprinkles: If you don’t have mermaid sprinkles, you can use any other type of sprinkles you’d like. You can also skip the sprinkles and use other add-ins like nuts, dried fruit, or candy pieces.
Glitter spray: If you don’t have edible gold glitter spray, you can use another edible shimmer spray, or omit it entirely. Another option is edible luster dust or edible glitter.
Kitchen Tools Needed
Here is a list of kitchen tools you need to make this recipe:
- Baking sheet: To spread out the melted candy.
- Parchment paper: So the candy melts don’t stick to the baking sheet.
- Microwave-safe bowl: Or a double boiler or candy melt melting pot.
- Resealable plastic bags: If you choose to swirl on the colors. You can also transfer the melted candy to piping bags.
- Spoon or spatula: To stir the candy melts and spread them onto the sheet.
- Knife: A butter knife used to create the wavy patterns on the chocolate.
- Sharp knife: To score and break the hardened candy.
- Storage container: An airtight container to store the candy if you aren’t serving it right away.
How to Store the Mermaid Candy
Once your sea-inspired sweet has hardened, you can store it in an airtight container at room temperature.
To help keep the candy fresh, you can place a piece of parchment or wax paper between layers of candy to prevent them from sticking together.
The candy should keep for several days, but it’s best to enjoy it as soon as possible for the best flavor and texture.
If you live in a very warm or humid climate, you may want to keep the candy in the refrigerator until you are ready to use it.
Recipe Notes and FAQ
Can I use other types of sprinkles or decorative elements in this recipe?
Yes, feel free to get creative and use any type of sprinkles or edible additions that you like in this recipe. You can use different colors or shapes of sprinkles, or mix and match with other small candies or chocolate chips.
Can I make this recipe without a microwave?
Yes, you can melt the candy melts and chocolate in a double boiler or in a heat-safe bowl over a pot of simmering water instead of using a microwave. Just be sure to stir the candy frequently and watch it carefully so that it doesn’t burn. Wilton also has a melting pot made especially for melting candy melts.
- 1 bag, 12 oz, turquoise candy melts
- 1/4 cup white candy melts
- 1/4 cup lavender candy melts
- mermaid sprinkles
- mermaid tail candies
- edible gold glitter spray
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place turquoise candy melts into a microwave safe bowl. Place white candy melts into a small resealable plastic bag, but do not seal. Place the lavender candy melts in a separate resealable bag but do not seal.
- Place all items into the microwave, laying the bags of candy melts flat. Microwave at 50% power for 1 minute. Knead the bags of candy melts and stir the bowl of candy. Return to the microwave, in one minute increments at 50% power, stirring and kneading after each time in the microwave until smooth.
- Spread the turquoise candy melts onto the prepared parchment paper and spread to about 1/4" thick. Seal the bags of candy melts and carefully cut a small hole into the tip of the bag. Swirl and spiral the colors from the center outward.
- Using a knife, drag it into the candy to create a wave like effect. Sprinkle with sprinkles and mermaid tails. Let stand to harden, or refrigerate for 15 minutes until hard.
- Once hard, use a sharp knife to score the candy and break it into pieces. Spray the candy with glitter spray.
- Serve immediately or store covered, at room temperature.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 83Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
Bark Candy Recipes
Mermaid Party Recipes
Save this image to your candy board to save and share!
I hope you have a blast making mermaid bark candy. I’d love to see your creations. Please tag me on Instagram @jensoltys if you take pics!
If you like magical recipes like this, be sure to subscribe to the blog. You’ll receive more fun recipes, tips, tricks, and even free printables.