Love Rice Krispies treats? Now’s a good time to get creative with them.
This rainbow pinwheel Rice Krispies treats recipe is a tasty way to pass some time in the kitchen.
Bored at home? Stuck in with the kids? Baking to the rescue!
Make something sweet and colorful to pass the time. Teach the kids about baking while creating these rainbow treats.
Of course, I recommend enjoying rainbow Rice Krispie treats in an epic fort while watching a unicorn movie.
Also, print out some unicorn coloring sheets to color while you wait for the treats to cool!
Pinwheel Krispies Ingredients
(Exact measurements in the printable recipe card below)
- Mini marshmallows
- Crispy rice cereal
- Marshmallow cream
- Candy melts in all the colors of a rainbow
How to make rainbow pinwheel crispy rice treats
Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease generously with cooking spray.
Melt butter and marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until the marshmallows are double in size.
Stir well until the butter is melted.
Pour the cereal into the mixture and mix well until evenly coated.
Spread the coated cereal into the prepared pan.
Place a sandwich bag on your hand and spray it with cooking spray.
This makes it easier to press the mixture into the pan.
Spread marshmallow cream on top of cereal.
Line the cereal with candy melts.
Leave a 1″ border around the pan and evenly space out all six colors.
Place in the oven for 8 minutes.
Remove from the oven and use a knife to spread the melted candy melts into a single line in the pan, making sure you don’t mix the colors together too much.
If necessary, wipe the knife after spreading each color.
Let cool for 15 minutes.
Roll up the cereal, jelly-roll style, like a cinnamon roll, starting with the pink end.
As you roll, peel away the parchment paper and pinch the side seams together.
Place the roll back on the baking sheet on the long seam and refrigerate for 45 minutes or until the candy melts are set.
Cut into 1″ slices and serve.
Recipe Notes and FAQ
Why did my Rice Krispies Treats get hard?
You probably overcooked the marshmallows. Take your marshmallows off the heat as soon as they’re melted. Marshmallows are sugar, and the longer you cook sugar, the harder it gets.
Do Rice Krispies Treats need to be refrigerated?
No, they don’t as long as your house isn’t super hot. Just store them in an air-tight container.
Can I use old marshmallows for Rice Krispies Treats?
No! Don’t give in to the temptation. Old marshmallows don’t get soft and gooey when they melt. Instead, they become one giant, gross blob. Don’t do it.
What can I replace candy melts with?
If you don’t want rainbow Rice Krispies Treats, you can make the center with chocolate or white chocolate. Melt 6 ounces of chocolate or white chocolate chips with 1 tablespoon of shortening to get the same consistency as melted candy melts.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small package, 10.5 oz, mini marshmallows
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal
- 1 small jar, 7 oz, marshmallow cream
- 1/2 cup red candy melts
- 1/2 cup orange candy melts
- 1/2 cup yellow candy melts
- 1/2 cup green candy melts
- 1/2 cup blue candy melts
- 1/2 cup pink candy melts
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (not wax paper). Grease generously with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Add marshmallows and butter to a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds or until marshmallows are double in size. Stir well until butter is melted. Pour in cereal and mix well until evenly coated.
- Spread into prepared pan. I usually place a sandwich bag on my hand and spray it with cooking spray. Then you can easily press the mixture into prepared pan. Spread marshmallow cream on top of cereal.
- Line the cereal with candy melts. Leave a 1" border around the pan and evenly space out all six colors. Place in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove from oven and use a knife to spread the melted chocolate in a single line in the pan, making sure you don't mix the colors too much. If necessary, wipe the knife after spreading each color. Let set to cool for 15 minutes.
- Roll up the cereal, jelly-roll style, like a cinnamon roll, starting with the short pink end. As you roll, peel away the parchment paper and pinch the side seams together. Place the roll baking sheet on the long seam and refrigerate for 45 minutes or until candy is set. Cut into 1" slices and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 301Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 0gSugar: 42gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More rainbow desserts to make
- Rainbow fudge
- Rainbow popcorn
- Layered rainbow Jello cups
- Rainbow cookie dough dip
- Rainbow Jello cubes
- Unicorn poke cake
Of course, use any color combination of candy melts. If you don’t have the whole rainbow on hand, switch it up.
What colors will you include in your Rice Krispies treats pinwheel?