Make these adorable fairy cupcakes complete with wings and a skirt for your next magical event.
There are a few steps to create these cute fairy cupcakes, but none of them are too complicated.
Cupcakes with Wings and Skirts
Follow along and take it one step at a time to see how you can add creative fairy wing cupcakes to your party dessert table.
Of course, you can switch out the colors and decorations to make these fairies match your theme or holiday.
The purple color makes me think of sugar plum fairies for the holidays, but the color theme works at any time of the year.
These cupcakes also look like princesses or ballerinas to me. With the little dress, the cupcakes work for a lot of different themes. Wings are optional.
Oooh, you could even do black wings and red frosting for an ominous looking evil fairy around Halloween!
Get creative with the wings and make them as fancy as you want. Or, print this template to make the candy wings you see pictured.
When you print the wing template, make sure you print the PDF and not the JPG (picture).
If your print dialogue box has any options checked like “reduce to fit” or “fit to page,” uncheck those or the wing size may not work for the cupcakes.
What you need to make Fairy Cupcakes with Wings
- 12 cupcakes, baked and cooled completely. Make your favorite cupcake recipe in any flavor and color.
- 15 paper cupcake liners for the skirts
- 12 cupcakes liners for the cupcakes themselves
- 1 tub white frosting
- Wilton color gel in violet and teal
- 3 oz lavender candy melts, plus, 3 additional wafers
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 cube white almond bark
- Silver dragees
- White sugar
- White glue
- Printed wing template
- Heart-shaped cookie cutter
- Wax paper
- Plastic wrap
- Pastry bag
- 1M tip
Shop fairy baking supplies on Amazon. (affiliate link)
How to make the heart bodices
Start by making the candy clay for the heart bodice.
Melt the 3 oz of lavender candy melts in a microwave-safe bowl.
Heat on 50% power for 30 seconds, stirring until smooth.
Return to the microwave and repeat until completely melted.
Add a tablespoon of corn syrup to create clay.
Place on plastic wrap and set aside to cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
The rest of the directions are below.
How to make the candy fairy wings
Next, make the fairy wings. Create space in your refrigerator for a cutting board or baking sheet.
Place the wing template you printed onto the cutting board or baking sheet and top with wax paper.
Melt 1 cube of almond bark in a small microwave-safe bowl.
Heat at 50% power for 1-2 minutes, stirring after each 30-second interval.
Place melted chocolate into a resealable sandwich bag and cut a small hole in the tip of the bag.
Trace the outline of the wings with the melted chocolate onto the wax paper.
Get creative and add your own little swirls and designs in the center of the wings.
Sprinkle with white sugar.
Refrigerate until firm.
How to make the cupcake skirts
Cut cupcake liners on the side and cut out and discard the center.
Set aside 12 liners and cut the remaining liners into 4 pieces.
Glue the liner pieces onto the open/cut edge of the 12 liners to create a skirt for the cupcakes.
Place on top of each cupcake.
How to make the frosting
Divide the frosting in half and place into bowls.
Tint one bowl of frosting violet and the other one teal.
Spoon frosting into a pastry bag fitted with a 1M tip and set aside.
Decorating the Fairy Cupcakes
Back to the candy clay, which will be very hard when you begin to use it.
Break off a small piece of clay and knead it well until smooth.
If the candy clay is sticky, dust your hands, surface, and rolling pin with cornstarch.
Roll clay until 1/8″ thick and use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut out 12 hearts.
Place 3 lavender wafers into a sandwich bag and heat on 50% power for 10 seconds at a time until melted.
Cut the tip of the bag and decorate the heart bodices with silver dragees.
Pipe frosting onto the cupcake.
Add a heart bodice and fairy wings. (Carefully remove wings by peeling them off the wax paper.)
Top with sprinkles.
Repeat until all of your 12 cupcakes are decorated.
- 12 cupcakes, baked and cooled
- 16 oz white frosting, 1 tub
- violet coloring
- teal coloring
- 3 oz lavender candy melts
- 3 lavender candy melts, 3 additional to above
- 1 tbs light corn syrup
- 1 cube white almond bark
- silver dragees
- 1 tbsp white sugar
Make the candy clay heart bodice
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, add 3 ounces of lavender candy melts. Heat on 50% power for thirty seconds. Stirring until smooth. You may have to return to the microwave until completely melted. Add tablespoon of corn syrup to create a clay. Place on plastic wrap and set aside to cool. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
Make the fairy wings
- Clear a space in your refrigerator for a cutting board or baking sheet. Place template onto the cutting board or baking sheet and top with wax paper.
- Place 1 cube of almond bark into a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on 50% power for 1-2 minutes, stirring after each 30-second interval until smooth. Place into a resealable sandwich bag and cut a small hole in the tip of the bag. Trace the outline of the wings on the wax paper. Adding your own swirls and designs in the center of the wings. Sprinkle with white sugar. Refrigerate until firm.
- Use scissors to cut cupcake liners on the side and cut out the center. Discard the center. Once all the liners are cut, set aside 12. Cut the remaining liners in 4 pieces. Glue the pieces onto the open/cut edge of the 12 liners to create a skirt for the cupcakes. Place on top of each cupcake.
- Divide frosting in half and tint half of it violet and half teal. Spoon into a pastry bag fitted with a 1M tip. Set aside.
- Candy clay will be very hard when you begin to use it. Break off a small piece and knead it well until smooth. If the candy clay is sticky, dust your hands, surface and rolling pin with cornstarch. Roll until 1/8" thick and use a heart-shaped cookie cuter to cut out 12 hearts.
- Place 3 lavender wafers into a sandwich bag and heat on 50% power for 10 seconds at a time until melted. Cut the tip of the bag and decorate the heart bodices with silver dragees.
- Pipe frosting onto the cupcake. Add a heart bodice and fairy wings (remove wings by peeling them off of the wax paper). Add sprinkles. Repeat until all fairy wing cupcakes are finished.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cupcake
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 17mgSodium: 336mgCarbohydrates: 84gFiber: 2gSugar: 60gProtein: 3g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
These cupcakes are perfect for any woodland fairy themed wedding, shower, or party.
Do you have an event in mind for these fairy cupcakes with wings?
More Desserts to make for a Fairy Party
If you make these cupcakes, please let us know!
Tag us on social media in your pics or leave a comment below.
Be sure to subscribe to the blog for more magical treats like this.