Adding to the rainbow and unicorn dessert recipes, here we have baked unicorn donuts with a candy horn.
Using cake mix to make the unicorn donut recipe makes them quite easy. Save your time for the fun part — decorating your donuts with candy horns, ears, and a frosting mane.
Unicorn donuts with candy horns
Using the same candy horns as the unicorn face cupcakes works very well to decorate these donuts.
Another option for the horn is the candy used on the unicorn crackers.
Maybe even the Bugles in the unicorn party mix would work for the horns, but I think the Starbursts will stick the best.
You may want to add eyes to these unicorn doughnuts for a good laugh.
We tried to add eyes, but the holes in the donuts make them simply too close or too far away from the horns.
If you are decorating the doughnuts with kids, make them funny!
Or, if you want to keep them pretty for a bridal shower or other event, leave them with the simple frosting mane.
What you need to make unicorn donuts
(Exact measurements are in the printable recipe card below.)
- Cake mix
- White candy melts
- Starburst Duos Fruit Chews
- White frosting
- Food coloring
- Unicorn sprinkles
- Donut baking pan
What you need for the donut glaze
- Powdered sugar
Unicorn donuts instructions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a
Combine cake mix, water, egg, and oil in a mixing bowl and mix well.
Place batter into a gallon-sized resealable bag.
Snip the tip of the bag and pipe the batter into the donuts pans until they are about half full.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the donuts are golden brown and cooked through.
Allow the donuts to cool in the pan for about 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Invert the pan to a cooling rack and let the donuts cool completely.
Add butter, milk, and sugar to a bowl and whisk well to make the glaze.
Once the donuts are cool, dunk each one into the glass and let the excess drip.
Place them back on a cooling rack and let the remaining glaze drip off.
Let the glazed donuts set to dry.
Divide the frosting into fourths.
Leave one-fourth of the frosting white.
Tint the remaining frosting with food coloring.
Put the frostings into separate piping bags with a star tip.
Cut the candy melts in a half carefully with a knife.
To make the horns, unwrap four candies and place onto a microwave-safe plate.
Microwave for 10 seconds.
Roll the candy into 6″ long “snake” shapes.
Fold them in half and twist, shaping the end to a point like a unicorn horn.
Let the candy horns cool and harden on wax paper.
Once the donuts are glazed and dried, use the white frosting to attach the candy horns and ears to the donuts.
Use the colored icings to pipe a mane onto the unicorn.
Add sprinkles and set aside to dry.
Makes 30 unicorn donuts.
Easy to make unicorn donuts with candy horns.
- 1 box, 15.25 oz, cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg
- white candy melts
- Starburst Duos Fruit Chews
- 1 tub, 16 oz, white frosting
- food coloring
- unicorn sprinkles
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 3-5 tablespoons milk
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a donut pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, egg, and oil. Mix well. Place batter into a gallon-size resealable bag. Snip the tip and pipe the batter into the prepared pans until they are about half full.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through. Remove from pan. Let cool for 2 minutes and invert pan onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely.
- Once donuts are cool, add butter, milk, and sugar in a bowl and whisk well. Dunk donuts into glaze and let excess drip. Place on a cooling rack and let remaining glaze drip off. Let set to dry.
- Divide frosting into fourths. Leave one-fourth of the frosting white. Tint remaining frosting with food coloring and pipe into separate piping bags with a star tip.
- Cut candy melts in half with a knife.
- To make horns, unwrap 4 candies and place them onto a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 10 seconds. Roll the candy into a 6" long "snake" shape. Fold in half and twist. Shape the end to a point. Let cool and harden on wax paper.
- Once donuts are dipped in glaze and it's dry, use white frosting to attach the horn and ears to the donut. Use the colored icing to pipe a mane onto the unicorn. Add sprinkles and let set to dry.
- Makes 30 donuts.
Feel free to add eyes, but when we did, it looked a bit strange!
If you use a dark donut pan, reduce the oven temp to 325. You may have to bake them for 1-2 minutes longer.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 7mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 0gSugar: 24gProtein: 1g
Nutrition facts are an estimate only.
More unicorn recipes
More donuts to make
Make sure to pin this post so you have this cute unicorn dessert saved!
Subscribe to the blog for more recipes like this one.
As a gift, you will receive unicorn coloring pages that you can print right away to color while you eat your unicorn donuts!
Please tag me in your unicorn donut pictures!